It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hmmm....how is nuclear waste cleaned up?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
(I was going to put this in the weapons forum, but I figured nuclear cleanup is more of a science)

There were many nuclear tests in Nevada through the 1950s and 1960s. I was under the impression that the land is contaminated for thousands of years, yet it looks like there is no such problem. Heck, even Hiroshima and Nagasaki have been rebuilt. Are there high cancer-rates in those areas?

Also, sort of on-topic, sort of off-topic. How is a Pure-Fission nuclear weapon made? I read Newsweek (or another similar magazine) and they had a short article on Pure-Fission nukes. Once detonated, the nuclear fallout would clear up within 48 hours or so.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This may help....

How Nuclear Bombs Work-Fission Bombs
science.howstuffworks.com...

How Nuclear Radiation Works

EDIT: One more for ya....
Consequences of Nuclear Explosions

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by mOjOm]

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:32 AM
link   
According to Ronald Reagen the whole nuclear waste thing is overblown. "A years worth can be stored under a desk."

I think he tried it, and that explains alot.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Neutrons are introduced by making a neutron generator. This generator is a small pellet of polonium and beryllium, separated by foil within the fissionable fuel core. In this generator:

This is false. A Neutron Generator is a metallic, tube shaped device. The Uranium ring(s) hit the bottom of the tube, causing it to disperse neutrons.

One word of caution: don't ever be hanging over from partying all night long, then try to remove both of the neutron generators from a mod type W70 warhead. The Warrant Officers really get pissed if you almost drop one.

top topics

join