It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First U.N. All Female Peacekeeping Force Arrives In Liberia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
A first in the UN history books, a peacekeeping force comprised solely of women has arrived in the Liberian capital to carry out its mission of peace. The contingency, made up of about 100 Indian policewomen hopes to be seen as more comfortable to approach by women and children due to previous corruption in UN forces in the area. Liberia was founded in the 19th century as a settlement for freed American slaves.

news.yahoo.com

Women have served in many U.N. peacekeeping forces, but this is the first women-only group. Members of the group have said they hope their unit will be seen as more approachable by women and children in conflict zones.

Last year relief groups in Liberia accused U.N. peacekeepers and aid workers of trading food for sex with girls left homeless by war. The United Nations has since instituted strong policies to prevent sexual exploitation in the country.

About 200,000 Liberians are believed to have been killed in the 1989-2003 civil war, which also displaced half the country's 3 million people. The country — created to settle freed American slaves in 1847 — is still struggling to recover. The U.N. peacekeeping mission has been present in Liberia since a 2003 peace deal ended the fighting.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this a wonderful statement of how far human society has come in achieving trust into any person, be they man or woman for difficult operations such as these. I find it appalling that previous peacekeepers had been involved in such sexual depravity and blatant violations of the crimes against humanity they were their to prevent.

I don't feel the UN as a whole should be blamed for a few corrupt individuals, and congratulate them on their efforts to identify and prosecute to the fullest extent those who are guilty of such corruption.

We cannot forget however, that just because these are women, it does not exempt them from the folly of succumbing to corruption themselves. I believe they should still be dealt the same oversight that would monitor any group of peacekeepers.

Related News Links:
peacejournalism.com
24hour.startribune.com
www.wtopnews.com

[edit on 1/30/2007 by DYepes]

[edit on 30/1/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I am just curious, but do any of the women on the board feel kind of proud of this feat?

What I am worried about is some of the people on the streets might not take them seriously, or that they may even become specific targets for who knows what.

Lets hope for the best though. They only gonna be there for six months anyways.

new topics

join