It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Size Characters not welcomed in posts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I've noticed lately large sized characters are getting weeded out of posts. I've noticed it in a couple of my own posts as well as others.

I'm not aware any rules -like using all caps- restricts the character size. If there are, please direct me to them.

Most peculiar, there're no edit note from any mod left explaining the altering, not even a signature.

Like this morning an old old (more than 3 months) post pops up, saying a mod had responded. I go look, but last post is from September. I skim through the thread and notice that some headings I had put in pointsize 4 and 5 are redeuced to the default point 3 - but no edit-by-mod note. Nothing but that certain mod in the log as last (invisible) poster.

Why the option in Post New Topic of different pointsizes if it's not accepted?

And why no mod-edit note?

[edit to remove name of mod]

[edit on 30-1-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
All caps are considered as YELLING around here and not welcome for that very reason.
You can type bold to stress a point, and that should do it.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The post is about SIZE - not all caps.

Any rules about character size?

Please let me know if there are.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
'scuse me.

Someone will have the correct answer for you.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I think they are fine for dramatic single lines when you want to get a point across. A single, ridiclously important point.

But then you see those people that abuse it, and it just looks stupid. You can't even read it.

But I've recently noticed that you can't seem to change font size anymore. I tried using the tags [size=1] and [/size], which should reduce the size, but it didn't seem to work in the post, even through it worked in the preview. Here, I'll try again.

gday

howdy

edit: ok, just ignore all I have to say

[edit on 30/1/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Testing... testing... 1-2-3...

Seems to work fine...

If anyone have edited your post in any way, there should be an edit tag indicating it was last edited by someone. If there is such a tag in that post of yours after you noticed this change, did you try to u2u the mod and ask why it was edited? And are you logged in when you see that the font have changed? On some occasions you might be logged in to ATS but not logged in to BTS or abovePolitics (PTS) at the same time. I'm not aware if being logged in or not have any effect on seeing font sizes, but I know that some effects you can only see if you're logged in. Like avatars, some member-stats and videos embedded in posts by mods before we got the new videotags system. Logged in members can see those videos in threads, but non-members can't. If the fonts are still small (changed) after you've verified that you've logged into wherever the thread is, and if there's no edit tag by any mod, then it must be a bug or some change that I'm unaware of...

If your post was edited, there was probably a reason why it was edited. But then there will be an edit tag. I have not seen your post.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
if you are talking about old posts ,

is it possible that the BB/code for rendering font size has been changed ? and now the new dark matter redesign does not display them ?

or the new CCS templates do not display the old code , large fonts correctly ?

just thoughts - have you noted any other BB/code errors in old posts ?

APE - is just guessing

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Thanks for responding, Hellmutt.

The thread in question is this
www.abovepolitics.com...'

My post is number three, and the headings inside the ex-tags I put in size 5 for the top and 4 for the sub-heading.

The strange thing is, that this morning it was in the top of my subscribed threads, and the name of a (welknown) mod was in the last post colume, so I would suspect he added a post.

Well, obviously not, but I noticed the change in font size in my post - but no edit note.

Anyhow it would be strange by editing the mod appeared as last poster, woldn't it?!

I noticed it first a few days ago in a post in my signature thread
www.abovepolitics.com...' - last post. All the size formatting had gone, and previous posts has been sized down. But no new last poster logged. So it cannot have anything to do with old posts as suggested by ignorant_ape.

By closer inspection I now realize that they have been turned one point down, i.e. 4=3, 5=4 and also it springs to my mind at certain websites I've had trouble with small sizes, displayed on parts of the site. As I now notice the text of the signature in Hellmutt's post is so small it's barely readable. I've read it before, so I know what it says.

But Hellmutt, let me ask you, have you changed the fontsize in your sig?

I better do a test. This is size 4 and this is 5.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   
This explains it. The font I set to 4 appears on my screen as a size 3(default) and 5 as a 4. I make one more test. This a size 3.

Something rotten in my settings it might be. Thanks God, ATS appears normal (exept for Hellmutt's sig).

edit: Now I like to know, do you see the one I state as 4 as a size 3??

the one above, I set at 3, appears as a 3! Strange!!? ...and I notice now the url's in previous post doesn't apper as links. A normal glitch I guess.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Your url's doesn't appear as links because you have an apostrophe at the end. If you copy/paste a link from MyATS, you get an apostrophe at the end by default (I'm not sure why). You'll need to remove the apostrophe if you want to make it clickable in threads (the same goes for links in chat I believe)

My signature font size is "minus 2"

[size=-2]

If the last poster in a thread appears to be a mod but no post is showing, it means that the thread was bumped by the mod. A mod-bump bumps a thread without actually posting.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Your url's doesn't appear as links because you have an apostrophe at the end. If you copy/paste a link from MyATS, you get an apostrophe at the end by default (I'm not sure why).

I be darn
that is why mine doesn't show either.

Thanks!!!!!!!

I feel like a old dumb member still learning.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
yes, various sizes for characters are welcome...

but, the only ATSers that use them are springer and SO

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
If the last poster in a thread appears to be a mod but no post is showing, it means that the thread was bumped by the mod. A mod-bump bumps a thread without actually posting.

Not sure what you mean by "bumped"?? ...not dumped, the thread is still there.

Could you explain what a "mod-bump" is?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

A mod has a little button that can put the thread back at the top of the discussion forum even though they haven't written or contributed to the thread. It's just a way to give a little more life to the discussion.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
A mod has a little button that can put the thread back at the top of the discussion forum even though they haven't written or contributed to the thread. It's just a way to give a little more life to the discussion.

and all this time i thought it was the local warlocks and witches playing tricks on us

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy It's just a way to give a little more life to the discussion.

Or to push an agenda.

Just kidding.

I can always tell when certain mods are on the board, by a few threads that always seem to find their way to the top.

But it's all good.

[edit on 1/31/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

Originally posted by khunmoon

Thank you mr Wupy, I checked, it explains it.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
BTW, I really like your new avatar, Mechanic,
...intelligent stuff.

Who did it? ...would like to learn to do stuff like that.

(sorry for this off-topic)

new topics

top topics

join