It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protection from missiles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Seems like it is not just theory anymore. The U.S. has missile protection. The "powers that be" have seen fit to announce it is up and running.

toda y.reuters.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Within a year, the U.S. missile defense system should be able to guard against enemy attacks, while testing new technologies, the deputy director of the U.S. Missile Defense Agency said on Monday.

The United States activated the ground-based system last summer when North Korea launched one long-range and six short-range missiles.

North Korea's intercontinental Taepodong 2 missile fell into the Sea of Japan shortly after launch but the short-range tests appeared successful, said Brig. Gen. Patrick O'Reilly, deputy director of the Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This will be very big news as countries like North Korea and Iran will claim this is a first strike weapon. China and Russia will not be happy about it either. The allies of the U.S. will be happy especially those in the middle east as the "Iran" fiasco spirals out of control.

Related News Links:
www.airforcetimes.com

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
That's pretty interesting. I've talked to a buddy at work quite a bit about the "theory" saying that basically everyone in the US mainland would essentially be safe from a missile attack from abroad. I've always wondered what exactly could/would be used.

Thanks for the update, shooterbrody.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The jumbo jet laser platform was shown on the show future weapons recently. It was pretty interesting to see how it worked. It can alledgedly take down icbms from the other side of the hemisphere.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by shooterbrody
Seems like it is not just theory anymore. The U.S. has missile protection. The "powers that be" have seen fit to announce it is up and running.

toda y.reuters.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Within a year, the U.S. missile defense system should be able to guard against enemy attacks, while testing new technologies, the deputy director of the U.S. Missile Defense Agency said on Monday.

The United States activated the ground-based system last summer when North Korea launched one long-range and six short-range missiles.

North Korea's intercontinental Taepodong 2 missile fell into the Sea of Japan shortly after launch but the short-range tests appeared successful, said Brig. Gen. Patrick O'Reilly, deputy director of the Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This will be very big news as countries like North Korea and Iran will claim this is a first strike weapon. China and Russia will not be happy about it either. The allies of the U.S. will be happy especially those in the middle east as the "Iran" fiasco spirals out of control.

Related News Links:
www.airforcetimes.com
Interesting...Oh! But look at the first 3 words. "Within a year" That makes me feel very safe.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Against an enemy that has many thousands of nuclear Warhead, like Russia, I doubt the protection will be enough

Against an enemy such as China, that has about 30 nukes... or North Korea that only has an handful...

They shouldnt start considering those as first strikes weapons, because the US won't hold their retaliations

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianGlasnost
Against an enemy that has many thousands of nuclear Warhead, like Russia, I doubt the protection will be enough

Against an enemy such as China, that has about 30 nukes... or North Korea that only has an handful...

They shouldnt start considering those as first strikes weapons, because the US won't hold their retaliations

Do you honestly believe that the Government has "truthfully" release information about what they have readily available?

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Do you honestly believe that the Government has "truthfully" release information about what they have readily available?

Of course not. When has the US government not lied in the past 5-6 years?

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   

There is another way to think about it.

Besides North American, Hawaii, Alaska, U.S. Navy, etc., set a few hundred of them up in South Korea, Japan, U.K., Isreal, Iraq, Poland, Romania, Ukraine, etc. etc.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by shooterbrody

Because they don't consider the Nuclear Submarines sitting right outside their national waters a first strike ability?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   
No, more like a first strike without fear of retaliation. I believe that this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as the technology the U.S. military machine has. I also believe that for the first time in my lifetime the U.S. poses the very real threat of the first strike. I also believe the current administration will lead us into a conflict with Iran. Iran,in my opinion,doesn't pose a military threat to the U.S. homeland; Irans allies do. I think this information was made public to deter Irans allies from getting involved.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Of course we will go to war with Iran - we have to.

If not - we will be forced to pull out of Iraq, obligating Saudi Arabia and other Sunni nations to finance the Sunni insurgency, and in turn Al Queda.

Attack Iran and the Shiite Militia's lose footing and funding. Notice I said attack and not invade.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by crisko]

new topics

top topics

join