It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going to Hong Kong with no notice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   

So my company decides that they need to open a Hong Kong office. They knew about it months ago, but for some reason only decide to tell the IT team today that they need it up and running by March 1st. Including full toshiba phone system, Ds3 line between offices, it's own domain, mail server, F+P, Blackberry Server, etc.

Are they out of their flippin minds? It takes at least that long for much of the equipment to arrive in the first place, let alone configure it for interactivity with a larger forest. I'm the "Phone Guy" (that just means I know how to manage the switch, not install or configure it) so they're sending me over.

Let's not forget that I'm not the wealthiest person in the world, and just the trip is bound to whipe me out financially. Of course it can all be expensed, but that won't come back for a few weeks after I put in my receipts, and expense report.

All you IT guys out there, do yo feel me? This is a bit rediculous don't you agree?

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Yeah it's ridiculous. Actually, it's beyond ridiculous. You didn't ask for advice, but I'm gonna provide a little, anyway. You obviously work for a fairly large enterprise. Just be sure you CYA in every way possible, in writing and email with multiple cc's.

This wouldn't be the first time I've seen somebody prepared as the sacrificial slaughter to be offered up when a ludicrously improbable project collapses under the weight of a failure of upper management to make adequate plans and/or provide adequate support.

I'd be spelling out timeframes for all the components of the project NOW so that there's a reasonable expectation on the timetable. And even if it doesn't generate a reasonable expectation, at least it won't be like you're moaning about failure to deliver at the last minute. Detail delivery times and times for configuration. You'll probably need to schedule someone locally to do inside wiring along with the network and CPE installs, unless you're bringing that expertise along.

I'd also request an advance to cover the lag time between expense reporting and reimbursement. They ought to sweeten your pot significantly for sending you anyway, unless this was an assignment you'd proactively sought out.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
It's weird because I'm the junior member of our team. I don't necessarily have the experience to be the local oversite for the consultants and other companies that are going to be brought in. But you're right yeahright, I'm gonna CMA like a MOFO.

My manager, who was not in any of the meetings beforehand, but now is insisting on being involved in anything that involves Hong Kong, got the realistic setup time pushed back until the end of April, which will make things easier on everyone.

I think they think they've sweetened the pot enough, because of a raise, and bonus I received at the year end review. However, that raise doesn't nearly cover the cost of the trip, and my bonus was going to go towards buying a car, but that will have to be put on hold until after.

Sometimes I don't think that some people realize what goes into building an office. Especially when the IT team consists of 5 people (one of whom is in London) for a company with soon to be 5 satellite offices.

If this fails, I know I'm not going to be the one to blame.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Sounds like you'll be okay.
Just document document document. If you're the junior member (or FNG as we used to call 'em) you'll have an opportunity to shine or be blamed.

Another piece of unsolicited advice - if there's a senior member of the team you can trust and who has some influence, use this as an opportunity to make him/her look good. That can ultimately pay off more than any individual accolade you could get. Big time.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Ask for an advance.
My company does not provide one. UNLESS I ask.
Usually they can cut a check within a day or so if I ask.
I ask for the amount that I think the Hotel, and food will cost, based on the region I am traveling to..And whatever the per diem is for meals.
That way you don't have to front all the money youself.

I think all in all this will be a great experience for you. So I wish you much luck on that part.

And like Yeahright keeps saying..Document everything..LOL

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Well, It looks like with delays, lease agreements, updates from the GC and other random crap, I've gotten plenty of notice. I leave tomorrow at 5:50 am from JFK.

Yeah!!!

Hong Kong MoFo

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Be sure to look up ChiKey Monkey and give him my warmest regards!

Have a good trip.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Don't forget about us when you get there!

[edit on 29-5-2007 by AccessDenied]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Dude!

Welcome to the concrete and steel jungle.

If I can help in any way then U2U me. (I know all the best/worst/baddest places!!)

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'll be staying in Central HK. Any recommendations for good clubs, bars, or restaurants?

My GF will be meeting me out there on Monday and I don't want to disappoint her.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Ok if the missus will be there then your best bet is Lang Gwai Fong. this is where all the western style bars and clubs are. Also there are loads of good restaurants there. Hong Kong, has about a billion restaurants, most places have somekind of an English menu, if your in Central they all will. The further you get away from the Island the worse the level of English tends to be.

If your not with the missus, and with the boys from work you should go to Wan Chai, that's where all the girly bars are.

Also there are a few nice restaurants up at the peak, there a bit pricey, but worth it for the view alone. The wife and I have been a few times. On a clear night it's just WOW!

My advice is to get the Star Ferry over to TST (Tsim Sha Tsui) walk down to Mong Kok and wander the Ladies Street Market, that's where all the fake Gucci handbags are, and cheap T-shirts that say "Lost in Hong kong" there is also a lot of street food in this area which HK is famous for. If you can eat the stinky bean curd you have balls of solid steel. If you go there you'll smell it before you see it.

Enjoy

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Dude, Sundays are crazy. There are just thousands of women lining the streets. My colleague said it was because Sundays are the servant's day off, so they just go and hang out on the street rather than being at home (work). I should take it in before my GF comes over.

What a great city.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
myspace.com...

I'm uploading my pics to my myspace page if anyone is interested.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Damn, i am so jealous of you, my dad is originally from Hong Kong, went back last October and damn i miss it, we have our own house there in the new territories and i am craving to go back!

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Okay, I'm going insane.

It''s weird. I can't get a full night's sleep, and I'm working 16-20 hours a day because of it. I have to finish this office by Friday morning!! I thought it would be a fun trip, but it's turning into something crazy.

I just found out tonight that all of the wall sockets in the server room are on a single circuit, and it's only 30 amp. I found this out while plugging in the second of five network switches, and I only had 3 of 6 servers plugged in. FRIDAY!!!!

I woke yesterday this morning at 2:30 am to mount our servers and switches. It's now 2:55am, I haven't slept yet, my domain controller isn't replicating. :bash::bash:

And the worst part is that I haven't used my namesake in almost a week, and I'm freaking out man. I'm freaking out!!!

Ok, back to work.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
how are the girls in japan? i heard they love Americans. Tell me, so i can begin to plan my trip there haha.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
LMAO Hong Kong is part of China.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Alright, I'm in better shape than when I last posted. I had gone 24 hours with little food or sleep, and my vision was clouded.

We're actually in good shape for opening the office on time.

I think.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
LMAO Hong Kong is part of China.

hahaha ohh right, im thinking of tokyo. All those damn asians look the same to me!! jk

Chinese girls arent that great. I like the Japanese ones... anyway, carry-on

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
So, I've worked an average of about 20 hrs a day every day on this trip. I think it's starting to get to me.

Last night I had a dream about working on my network. It was one of the strangest dreams I've ever had. In it, I would be finishing up a job, and it would be going fine, then I would hear a knock at the door, or a doorbell ring. All of a sudden, a little wild jungle man would run in with a bone in his nose, and a huge knife and attack me, and the only weapon I had to defend myself was my laptop. I would fend him off, mano a mano, then things would be okay. I'd continue working, then when all seemed well, I'd hear another knock at the door, or ring of the bell.....

Man, it was freaky.

new topics

top topics

join