It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animals found in stone! Real or fake??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I'm not sure if there are others threads on this ( i couldn't find one), but does anyone on here have any knowledge on animals such as frogs and lizards being found alive in stone and coal? Here is one such link? Almost a suspended animation type thing. Any input?

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well, I don't know about these animals being found alive after being petrified is true, but I went to a place called Howe Caverns (At least I think it was Howe Caverns. There was also a Cavern I visited with family near Natural Bridge in Virginia.) in Upstate New York that featured a petrified PBJ sandwich.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This isnt too new.. possibly here but I remember talkin to someone about this

They were starting to mine an area *dont remember off the top of my head and if I feel like finding I will* where they started hitting into rock and found a bunch of small frogs that they would "revive" from their sleepish thing... kinda like a rock form of Chryo

There are also a bunch of frogs that live in ice for hundreds of years that im sure are easy to find as they've been on TV a buncha times

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Sounds like one of those Philedelphia Projects gone bad. Guess they hadn't quite perfected that teleportation project just yet.

On a more serious note, I can't logically explain something like that. I can't imagine how these frogs and toads lived if these stories are true.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Scientists dont got it all together either but yes it is true ^_^;;

(Sorry for how its all posted its early
)

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
IMHO :

most of these claims of " animals in rock " are misrepresentations of frogs and other amphibians who burrow in mud - even if it bakes solid , they can survive for months .

as for the " petrified sadwidch " - it sounds like flowstone encased it

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Hi just joined and yes animals found in stone ARE real I actually have a book that has numerous accounts of animals found in stone and othe rmysterious phenomena and this book even has a picture of a toad that was found in stone I'll go look for it alittle later today and i'll post the title here

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightwolf111
Hi just joined and yes animals found in stone ARE real I actually have a book that has numerous accounts of animals found in stone and othe rmysterious phenomena and this book even has a picture of a toad that was found in stone I'll go look for it alittle later today and i'll post the title here

I think I've seen the picture you are talking about. I believe the book is from the 80s; black and white photo. Was several years ago when I saw it, but I remember the frog looking a lil.......weird.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Frogs mutate ^_^;; and after a long time in baking stone.. they could change from the stone pushing and stuff.. kinda like mumification only animalish and if the animal in the picture was alive then.. this has nothin to do with it XD

But frogs and other amphi's live in mud a long time and mud forms a type of "rock"

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
sorry for the late post but I finally found the book its called Mysteries of the unexplained and it was actually published by readers digest. Its an old book but it has some cool stuff in it like photos inclkuding the frog photo and eerie accounts. The most incredible account I have read in the book on this subject was a story about how miners working in a mine somewhere in france found a living pterodactyl in a boulder from the Jurassic age. The thing died as soon as it came out of the rock but it scared the crap out of the miners that saw it. Anyway thats the book if anyone is intrested in finding it

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Yes, this is true about animals in rocks.

I watched a programme about it ages ago and it explains how frogs survive in rocks and coal. They somehow manage to eat little insects as they crawl inside and inbetween the rocks where the frogs are inside

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Thanks for all the input. Most of these stories I have heard of, even the pterodact story, I would have to say that I am leaning to the baked mud theory. I am not sure I believe the one about the pterodactyl though. A picture would have been nice. Thanks for all the posts!

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
i wish there was a picture too but its acually a historical account and i actually have more info about this account. The area where the ptetrodactyl was found was in a railway tunnel between the St Diezer and Nancy Lines and It further states that the creature had a wingspan of 10 feet 7 inches it had four legs joined by a membrane it had talons and its skin was according to the witnesses like black leather thick and oily. After the the pterodactyl made its apperance a local student of palentology in the nearby town of Gray identified the creature as a pterodactyl. The limestone rock that the poor creature was trapped in was consistent with the time period it lived in and the rock had a perfect mold to the pterodactyls body. While again i wish there was a picture of this amazing find it was discovered in 1856 and i do not think that reliable photography was around in europe back then. But still its an amazing account. Anyway if anyone is ineterested the book is called Mysteries of the unexplained by readers digest.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Also from what i have read in the book and other information about this subject many of these animals don't live for very long and nearly all of them tend to die after they are freed. but as a poster stated here earlier its been proven that frogs can survive in rock if insects carwl into the rock

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This is not something new. Conan Doyle wrote about the supposed finding of live petrified frogs. So, you figure, there have been reports of these kinds of thing at least since the 1930s and 40s.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Nightwolf, while I'm not saying that this event never occured, I do find it odd that neither the limestone or any part the the pterodactyl exist. You would think that a discovery of this magnitude would have been properly preserved.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I think I shall try the toad experiment with some plaster of paris this summer when they come out of hibernation and I'll get back to you on it. Nothing like checking the facts instead of repeating them. It does seem that something is going on with all these separate accounts...
Actually, if I recall, plaster of paris gets very hot when you cast it and I wouldn't want to cook the poor toad. Maybe cement would be a better choice?

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   
lol! yes, don't bake it, just suffocate it. that's less cruel

i suppose we'dhave to check up on known frog species metabolisms to find out if this could really be true. the mudstone theory is, to my mind, probably the true explanation for 95% of all the 'petrified' frogs found. but there are, as you've all already pointed out, a few odder accounts.
as for the ice frogs, naturally being amphibious a frog/toad can drop it's metabolic rate down during cold seasons and will not eat for months on end. it *is* possible, although perhaps not probable, that these toads are adapted species that can survive in this manner for longer than their studied counterparts.

anyone up for a bit of library action? lol

xx

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Well personally I think its real but the fact theres no pics is a little fishy but the descriptions given by the witnesses seems alittle too real for a hoax and also a student of palentology identified the creature that was trapped in limestone as a pterodactyl. As stated earlier this was found in 1856 and I do not think reliable photography technology was in europe at that time but as always this is an interesting subject and i'll do more invetigation into the pterodactyl account

top topics

<<   2 >>

join