It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controlling Involuntary Body Functions With Your Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Does anybody else think they can do this?

The main one that I think I can do is control my body's temperature. It's mostly a breathing and concentration thing. I take very shallow breaths. I breathe from the back of my throat, rather than my lungs/stomach/diaphragm/chest area, I don't know if that makes sense. Let your chest completely relax and take slow, shallow breaths from your throat. That is usually enough to do it, but if it isn't, you can also close your eyes and visualize a glowing red ball like a sun/star.

I don't know how or why it works, but I can use these two simple things individually or together, and it makes me warm. I will be waiting at the bus stop in -15C temperatures, shivering like crazy. Then I'll just start to breathe like this, and I literally stop shivering within seconds. You have to keep the timing right to keep from starting to shiver again though.

Also, this only seems to warm your "Core". Your chest (and possibly head) become very warm, but your extremities like fingers, ears, etc tend to stay cold or warm only slightly.

It's complicated to explain, but it works very well. It doesn't take any training. Usually the first time you try, you will get the same result.

If you have something similar to this, whether you can control your body temperature, blood pressure, etc, please let me know. And if you don't, try mine and let me know if I'm crazy or not

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
First off, your not crazy, and secondly, your not alone in discovering the human potential of body/mind/spirit connection (ultimately that is what it is).

If you think to the conditioning of a child not to poop or pee him/herself. That demonstrates that we have the potential to control ourselves. It just depends if the person decides to take it one step further, or even contemplate such matters (because evidently alot of humans don't).

"Its all in the mind" is one phrase that has stuck with me since i was young, aswell as "the only way to defeat it is to deny it battle", which i think are both relevant to this. People that can walk on hot coals for instance, obviously causes physical damage, but the person has overridden the relfex conditioning to jump off the coal, which shows they have mastered there own body/mind/spirit connection.

My own personal experiences;

-If i get hiccups (providing im sober!) i can stop them after only one hiccup, not by physically tensing or anything, but by simply not thinking about it. IMO this works by distracting the conscious AND subconscious mind, "deny it battle"

-I can control my heart beat to a degree. evidently if im physically being worked it won't happen, and would probably be dangerous to attempt it. i have only tried it when relaxed and not doing anything. two occasions; once in the bath when i had my head under the water, listening to it beat, and then i slowed it, and then made it miss a beat/stop, which rreally freaked me because i was only 10 or so. The second time a close friend had her head on my chest, and i told her about controlling my heart beat, which i then did and again, made it miss a beat/stop, which made me smile, but freaked her out lol.

-I taught myself how to roll my tongue at the age of 15, something i thought i couldn't do. This one appears to be the less amazing of them all, but personally it was the best for me, since i proved to myself that i could learn to do new physical things with my body.

-When sleeping i frequently become aware im dreaming after little time has elapsed. I am currently trying to teach myself to control dreams, and i am making progress in this area. I have also had some serious moments of clairvoyance where i see a place/time in a dream or trance, have no idea what it is, and then months or in one case a year later i will be in the time/place i saw and i will realise. This is something i have no control over, but still intrigues me immensly.

Controlling reality is something we do every time we think with intention. This is the flaw to Buddhism (teaches you to master the connection of body/mind/soul but doesn't teach you to apply it, to share the love of potential!)

Anyway im waffling
Hope this was the answer you were looking for.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Hi, tried this sitting in front of pc and yes, definitey felt warmer throughout the head and chest, but the acid test will be outside on a cold day! It's the sort of thing that will work well with me anyway because I'm well practised in hypnosis and altering my breathing pattern on its own will enable me to relax and concentrate on what I want to tell myself.

But I responded to tell you about something my son did 18 months ago. He was being prepared for surgery (he's had quite a few minor ops so he was nervous but far from being freaked out). Anyhow, it was 7 July 2005 so the theatre staff were late getting there because they were watching about the bombings on TV and when they came in the atmosphere was a bit hyped, and I guess my son was feeling a bit ignored, so he started playing about with his heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen levels. The monitors were all over the place and the staff were running around thinking their equipment was faulty. Then he told them what he was doing and they asked him to show them, and sure enough, without moving or apparently doing anything, he could make all the readings change.

In the end they told him to stop it so they could get proper readings otherwise they couldn't go ahead with the op so he just stopped and everything returned to normal.

He was 12 at the time.

He experimented with lucid dreaming a few months ago and tells me that he was able to do it after a few attempts. I believe him because he was on such a high the following day he was almost euphoric.

Can't wait to see what he does next!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   
omg i am fascinated by this concept!
My ability is kind of gross - i can totally control my clammy palms. Like if i think about them sweating then they will and if i stop thinking about it they will stop. so strange!! i wonder what this ability could be applied to

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
When I was young, my mother was doing bio-feedback research at university, and brought me into the lab a few times as a test subject. I was hooked up to all sorts of wires, placed in a reclined chair in a completely dark room- except for a monitor of my bodily functions (heart rate, blood pressure, temperature, and I don't remember what else).
I basically experimented with changing these things on my own.

Later, I was taught self hypnosis by a hypnotherapist, who first worked for several weeks installing a a sort of cue word for me to use which would trigger me to go into a deeply relaxed hypnotic state almost immediately. I continued to use this the rest of my life on a daily basis, to effect things like mood or health. It got me through three deliveries without any anesthesia, and in total calm, as well as a few minor surgeries.

I find now that I can change my body functions really well. Like I can bring down things like inflammation. After twenty minutes, whether it be a sore throat, bad cold, or tendonitis, it is completely gone.

The problem is, it is temporary. The inflammation or whatever comes back in a few hours. If I can have the time to do this about twice a day, it resolves itself quickly. (I recently did this with a bad cold) but otherwise, it continues.

Long term effects seem to need repetition and regularity.

One thing I noticed is that a cue word is "tension down"..... and I happen to have low blood pressure all the time. My doctor knows it is normal for me (so commonly considered "normal" blood pressure is a sign of distress in my case).
But I can't help but wonder if that isn't a result of this practice! I don't know if it was already the case before, because I was so young when I started it.

But I noticed it comes in handy with animals and children, if they need calming - simply standing next to them, or holding them, while I slow down my heart causes a sympathetic mirroring in them.
edit on 7-9-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Swami Rama was tested at the Menninger Clinic and was able to slow his heart rate to the point of stopping it, and other yogi tricks of the trade.

top topics

join