It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War or College Loans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
There is much criticism of education in the US today and some of it is well founded but do we really value education? As the following article posits we really don’t value an education. If some middle and lower class students don’t get loans they may not go to college. After all it’s just a loan. Money spent on war is gone it leave a debit but the student loan leaves a credit in more ways than one.
My children are in the last stages of a college education and loans are being paid back as we speak Lower interest loans would actually allow them to be consumers but apparently war is more valued? Is it being too pessimistic to think that due to globalization there won’t be any good-paying jobs in America anyways? Is money spent on war better spent than money spent on College loans?

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Post a link to the article please, I would be interested to read it.

I am of the opinion that the GSL program is yet another scam on the middle and lower classes, keeping tuition costs artificially high and students from low and middle income families strapped with debt well after they leave school. Look at some of the online programs that are springing up. To me they are simply vehicles for selling loans and indebting people looking to better themselves through continuing education.

I agree that student loans are a better use of government funds than the WOT, but they deserve a closer look in and of themselves.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
First, funding a war is not the same as funding your children's education. You seem to have the idea that money for war funding can simply and easily be given to students attending college.

Currently I am a sophmore, and I do not give a rats ass about wether anyone thinks the education system in the US is or is not valued.

Greater volumes and greater quantity of student loans is not going to make the world a better place because you do not understand what war is about.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Greater volumes and greater quantity of student loans is not going to make the world a better place because you do not understand what war is about.

Where in my post did I attempt to say what war was all about? My point is that money spent on war is wasted and that's certainly one view. Unfortunately as Plato said

Only the dead have seen the end to war.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
yay! Communism! goody, goody gumdrops! are lefties really this mentally challenged? Do they have absolutely no concept of personal responsibility? Since when is the government responsible for providing you with an education? to quote reagan, "too much government is the problem."

I think one of the biggest problems in regards to education is ignorance on how to obtain the funds, which are availiable to ANYONE willing to get through school and pay that money back. I am a junior in college and I know that there are too many who dont know how to get money or simply dont care.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Ah it's just a loan, it gets paid back. Clearly rightist must think war is a positive? Take a look at middle class salaries in real dollars. College tuitions are up, earnings are down, someone's getting squeezed. Why is it Lee Raymond retires with a $400 million package from gouging middle class Americans and it's OK, but ask for a LOAN and you're communist?

www.abcnews.go.com...

[edit on 30-1-2007 by polanksi]

Edn

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Loans have to be the most crippling thing in society today, if your not able to pay them back you never will and it usually ends up in an endless cycle of loans to pay off loans.

I'm very lucky to have my college fees paid for (just) by the Scottish government, if I wasn't able to have them paid for I simply wouldn't be able to go to college because I just don't earn enough money and theres no way I'm getting my self into debt by taking out a loan.

polanksi its never 'just a loan' college loans are a little different usually you don't need to pay them back (in Scotland at least) until your earning a certain amount and in most cases can be paid back in one go, but once you get into the mentality that loans are just loans and arn't that bad you end up in a big hole of debt and never will get back out again.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Polanski, to begin with, I suspect you've been misinterpreted/taken out of context.

I think I know what you mean.

And I think most of us realise that although wars cost the *general population* dearly in terms of money, lives and lives ruined ...... those same wars make the *elite* obscenely wealthy.

Also, they (politicians and their big-business and other buddies) get your kids either way. Those who continue their education pay dearly for it. The rest are mopped up and used as cannon fodder.

And why should the elite care? THEIR kids don't struggle to pay loans. And they don't get shipped to the latest war-on-terra hell-hole, either.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Dock6

I must agree. I thought I was attempting to emphasize the skewed values of a society that seems to value war over education for its citizens. Where did I go wrong?

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Plato is dead, move on.

You do not know what war is about, and if you did you would not be stating that money spent on war is wasted. You also would not have titled your thread War or College Loans and you would most certainly have not been parading around the idea that if we just stop spending money on wars then everything will be fine and dandy with college loans.

I will be the first to admit that education needs to be funded by this country, not make it a better place, but to make sure we have more educated people than other nations so when we go to war with these nations we can kick their ass.

Funding a liberal science students 7 year hiatus, on clove cigarettes and a lack of hygene products, is not a good arguement for suddenly stopping all wars.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Could you please enlighten me? What is war all about? Preferable the abridged version.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
War=Economic Conflict. I suggest you begin at page one, starting with The Prince.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by polanksi
Ah it's just a loan, it gets paid back. Clearly rightist must think war is a positive? Take a look at middle class salaries in real dollars. College tuitions are up, earnings are down, someone's getting squeezed. Why is it Lee Raymond retires with a $400 million package from gouging middle class Americans and it's OK, but ask for a LOAN and you're communist?

www.abcnews.go.com...

[edit on 30-1-2007 by polanksi]

you dont have to give me a lecture on the plight of the middle class. I am very much middle class. Yes, the economy is in a downturn etc, etc, etc. You can get a loan from the government or a bank, so whats the problem? It is not the government's responsibility to guarantee you an education beyond high school. It is expected that you will find a way to pay for it.

ever heard of sallie mae?

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
[It is not the government's responsibility to guarantee you an education beyond high school. It is expected that you will find a way to pay for it.

I think the goverment acquires a responsibility to help pay for college when they require college degrees for certain government jobs, and only allow people with a college degree to work in certain regulated professions.

new topics

top topics

join