It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who uses Gentoo?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Like the title asks, who uses Gentoo?

How often do you do uDNp world or eDNp world.
And how long does it take for an eDNp world :p

As some may know, I have a nice cluster in my garage which I setup to run as a DistCC farm on top of their normal operations.

For my Desktop PC it takes about a hour to do an eDNp system (distcc isn't used for the biggest system packages like gcc and glibc :'( )

For eDNp world it takes around 4 hours with Xorg 7, Gnome 2, mplayer 1.0, mpg123, Eclipse, Anjuta, Wine, The Gimp and the Crystal Space IDE.

Most of the packages get compiled trough DistCC and take almost no time to compile, but the biguns like gcc forcibly don't use DistCC and take the standard amount of time.

Edn

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Funnily enough im about to -e world everything on my computer under a new version of gcc I just compiled. recompiling the system packages didn't take to long just a couple of hours.

what version of Anjuta do you use? I was trying to get 2.1 installed but it wasn't working for me, im just sticking to the svn builds of codeblocks for now.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I'm only using stable branch packages (x86) for my development environment. So somewhere in the 1.4.x versions I think.

I mainly use Eclipse but use Anjuta to check if apps build clean outside of Eclipse.

Eclipse has a funny way of compiling apps perfectly clean and workable but when you try to do the compile console based (for instance when you submitted the app to portage) or in another IDE environment it doesn't work at all :p

The only problem I have atm is that portage still hasn't brought up 1.0 of crystalspace, not in x86 or ~x86.

x86 branch is still .89 and ~x86 branch is still .99 which I know both to have problems with gcc 4.1, 1.0 compiles perfectly with gcc 4.1.1, but I prefer using portage packages so I can keep track of everything better.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I use Gentoo on all machines except my two handhelds :/. I'm having very serious lockup issues when using 32bit apps under Gentoo (also under other distros) so I usually do "emerge --sync; emerge -uDavN world" everyday on my desktop machine. I have a machine that has an rsyncd server on so that I don't have to do the sync over the internet on all machines otherwise I would be overloading the Gentoo rsyncd servers. I usually update the other machines only when needed. I'm not sure of how long it takes to do a "emerge -e world" but I would say 2 or 3 hours.

[edit on 2007-2-5 by bracke]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I used to use Gentoo, until about 6 months ago I switched to Ubuntu because Gentoo took too long on some packages (1+ Hours on Glibc, Firefox) and I spent too long fixing things.

-uDNav would usually take a few hours.

-eDNav the one time I did it, took nearly the entire day.

One thing I loved about Gentoo though, was that it was SCREAMING fast. Gotta love OpenBox.

top topics

join