It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preliminary reports say Bill Parcells fired by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The Big Tuna's career shoud be over now. I can't imagine that he would want to come back to football after failing at such a high profile job.

Later Tuna!!!

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Here's an interesting twist - Lovey Smith is currently the most underpaid coach in the NFL. He's from Texas and his mom once had a dream he's coach the Cowboys some day. Big D just happens to have an opening. Stay tuned...

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Sigh, he was not fired. He walked away.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I guarantee you Jerry Jones gave him the choice of leaving on his own or getting fired. It happens all the time in sports.

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I guarantee you Jerry Jones gave him the choice of leaving on his own or getting fired.

Sure you can.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I lay you odds that all of this is centered around the return of Terrel Owens. Parcells made it quite clear that if Owens were back for another year, he wouldn't be. It's really unfortunate for my Cowboys...They lost a coach who would have probably taken them to the Super Bowl within the next couple of years in favor for a wide receiver who dropped 18, count them, 18 passes last year.. :shk: It doesn't make sense, but it's par for the course for Jerry Jones..

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Here's an interesting twist - Lovey Smith is currently the most underpaid coach in the NFL. He's from Texas and his mom once had a dream he's coach the Cowboys some day. Big D just happens to have an opening. Stay tuned...

I actually think it will be the defensive coordinator for the Chicago Bears... I can't think of his name,but he has already voiced interest in the position...He said that he couldn't make any decisions until after the Super Bowl though...I think it is something that Dallas may be willing to wait for.. [edit on 23-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 23-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I don't think too many people will be crying when Jones goes out and gets either Pete Carroll or Bob Stoops to coach the Cowboys. Maybe even Bill Cowher.

Peace

edit: Ron Rivera is the defensive coordinator for the Bears.

[edit on 23-1-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

edit: Ron Rivera is the defensive coordinator for the Bears.

[edit on 23-1-2007 by Dr Love]

Yeah, that's him...I think he may very well be Dallas' next coach...Stay tuned.. Bill Cowher, coming to Dallas? As much as I would be in full support of him doing it, I don't think it will ever happen.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Here is actually what Parcells said:

"I am retiring from coaching football. I want to thank Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones for their tremendous support over the last four years," Parcells said in the statement. "Also, the players, my coaching staff and others in the support group who have done so much to help. Dallas is a great city and the Cowboys are an integral part of it. I am hopeful that they are able to go forward from here."
Parcells

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I lay you odds that all of this is centered around the return of Terrel Owens. Parcells made it quite clear that if Owens were back for another year, he wouldn't be. It's really unfortunate for my Cowboys...They lost a coach who would have probably taken them to the Super Bowl within the next couple of years in favor for a wide receiver who dropped 18, count them, 18 passes last year.. :shk: It doesn't make sense, but it's par for the course for Jerry Jones..

I'm not a Cowboys fan. In fact, I probably hate them more than any other American team-sports franchise, including the Dodger team which I, as a lifelong Northern California resident, am obliged to hate, and the legendary Yankee team which that contemptible little mountebank with his daddy's fortune has contaminated for over 30 years now. But....

I don't know whether Jones gave Parcells a choice of being fired or not, but I doubt he'd be so shallow as to hang a coach of such stature because his quarterback couldn't field a snap. I do believe, however, that it came down to Terrell Owens. And I believe Parcells told Jones he wasn't staying around unless that #$%@&! got dumped. Apparently Jones decided he'd rather have a metastatic case of brain cancer than one of the greatest coaches in N.F.L. history. This is the type of idiocy which occurs when an owner insists on making personnel decisions, rather than leaving them to a G.M. who has had a long career inside the sport.

Come to think of it, "metastatic brain cancer" is too mild. A case of cancer, even after it metastasizes, is not contagious. It is beyond me to imagine that a guy who throws on-field and in-the-media tantrums against coaches and teammates is only poisoning himself. He has to have a toxic effect on the rest of his team. And, obviously, he doesn't care.

At numerous sports sites and baseball-specific sites, I have written at length about how much I despise Barry Bonds. I've attacked him in many ways as a human being. I've also said repeatedly that I think his feats from 2000 on should be thrown in the toilet--along with the feats of McGwire from 1995 on, Brady Anderson in his "marvelous" year, Sosa, etc. On the other hand, I also think Bonds was already the #14 MLB player of all time, based on his legit career feats, by the end of 1999. (In other words, I think he should be a slam-dunk inductee to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility, while guys who got their Hall of Fame credentials fraudulently (see, e.g., McGwire and Sosa) should never whiff the air of Cooperstown.)

I still believe all of those things. But as much as I despise Barry Bonds--which is a lot--I would take someone like him on my team in a heartbeat, compared to someone like Terrell Owens. Bonds is like Ty Cobb, Ted Williams and (if you read Cramer's book) Joe DiMaggio: He has a loathsome personality, but nobody has ever wanted to get rid of him. So how badly can he be hurting his teams?

Owens is the Rogers Hornsby of the N.F.L. He could put up glitzy, spectacular stats year after year, but his malignant personality, actions and comments would still make him more trouble than he is worth. That's why he's been moved around like he has.

And it's why, if Jerry Jones had a lick of sense, Owens would be dumped on his sorry @ss right now.

Here's hoping they go 4-12, at best, next year. And while I'm making toasts, here's hoping Parcells' retirement is evanescent and he leads some other team to victory in next year's Super Bowl.

BaseballHistoryNut

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Not only is Ron Rivera a leading canidate for the Dallas coaching job, but there is someone else from the 1985 Bears that is also another front runner. That 'other' front runner is none other than Mike Singletary.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
And it's why, if Jerry Jones had a lick of sense, Owens would be dumped on his sorry @ss right now.

Jones has way more ego than sense. The only person in sports I dislike more than jerry Jones is Bernie Ecclestone, "F1 Supremo".

By the way everyone, I know BaseballHistoryNut from the old Sportztawk site. This guy has forgotten more about baseball than most of us ever knew, and I'm very glad he made it over. He has some great insight on a wide variety of topics, is extremely intelligent, and can hold his own (and then some) in a debate.

Welcome BHN, but I'll warn you, if you stroll off the sports forum, things get a bit...alternative.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
There is only one thing worse than an owner who knows nothing about football, one who thinks he knows everything. I am a die hard Cowboys, fan always have been, always will be, but Jone is egomaniacal.... He really has gotten to the point that he has no idea what and what not to do. No one in Dallas dares to oppose him because he's the type that would move the Cowboy's in a heartbeat..

[edit on 1-2-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

new topics

top topics

join