It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. official: Chinese test missile obliterates satellite

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Tentions seem to be on the rise between the U.S and China.
Sure we have a business relationship with China.
But never say never,a war with China could be on the horizon.
And Taiwan could be the spark.

(CNN)-WASHINGTON (CNN) -- China last week successfully used a missile to destroy an orbiting satellite, U.S. government officials told CNN on Thursday, in a test that could undermine relations with the West and pose a threat to satellites important to the U.S. military.

www.cnn.com...

According to a spokesman for the National Security Council, the ground-based, medium-range ballistic missile knocked an old Chinese weather satellite from its orbit about 537 miles above Earth. The missile carried a "kill vehicle" and destroyed the satellite by ramming it.

www.cnn.com...

Aviation Week and Space Technology first reported the test: "Details emerging from space sources indicate that the Chinese Feng Yun 1C (FY-1C) polar orbit weather satellite launched in 1999 was attacked by an asat (anti-satellite) system launched from or near the Xichang Space Center."

www.cnn.com...

The official said that U.S. "space tracking sensors" confirmed that the satellite is no longer in orbit and that the collision produced "hundreds of pieces of debris," that also are being tracked.
The United States logged a formal diplomatic protest.

www.cnn.com...

"We are aware of it and we are concerned, and we made it known," said White House spokesman Tony Snow
Several U.S. allies, including Canada and Australia, also have registered protests

www.cnn.com...

Under a space policy authorized by President Bush in August, the United States asserts a right to "freedom of action in space" and says it will "deter others from either impeding those rights or developing capabilities intended to do so."
The policy includes the right to "deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to U.S. national interests."

www.cnn.com...

Low Earth-orbit satellites have become indispensable for U.S. military communications, GPS navigation for smart bombs and troops, and for real-time surveillance. The Chinese test highlights the satellites' vulnerability.
"If we, for instance, got into a conflict over Taiwan, one of the first things they'd probably do would be to shoot down all of our lower Earth-orbit spy satellites, putting out our eyes," said John Pike of globalsecurity.org, a Web site that compiles information on worldwide security issues.

www.cnn.com...

"The thing that is surprising and disturbing is that [the Chinese] have chosen this moment to demonstrate a military capability that can only be aimed at the United States," he said.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Lol. Looks like we created the same exact thread at the same exact time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I wonder how much of this is propaganda to get a bigger budget?

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm sure the United States has never thought of creating such a proposterous weapon. I mean, how could they? Only the Chinese could want to dominate the planet and rape us all. This is such typical Whitehouse B/S.

"The thing that is surprising and disturbing is that [the Chinese] have chosen this moment to demonstrate a military capability that can only be aimed at the United States".

Just as a matter of interest who are the 5'000 or so nucleur warheads the Americans have stockpiled intended to kill? They are no better than their oppostition.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I really don't see a problem here. So what the Chinese blasted an aging weather satellite (which was theirs) who cares. I think its funny however that the US submitted a diplomatic protest about it. I wasn't aware that they owned the cosmos as well

brill

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill
I really don't see a problem here. So what the Chinese blasted an aging weather satellite (which was theirs) who cares. I think its funny however that the US submitted a diplomatic protest about it. I wasn't aware that they owned the cosmos as well

brill

Its an eat or be eaten world. I really do think the reason why its making it to the 'media waves' is pretty much more or less for propaganda. Gotta increase that budget spending. Nothin wrong with it either.

[edit on 073131p://2301pm by semperfoo]

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
thats a pretty handy weapon,
Imagine knocking out dozens of US Sattelites during war time..
The impact on the US would be significant.

Im pretty sure a few nations have this technology but.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
200 million man army, what would any nation need a 200 million man army for? Maybe to invade the U.S. ?
It seems to me that things are unfolding slowly, world war 3 is starting, we all need to prepare.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by PHARAOH1133
200 million man army, what would any nation need a 200 million man army for? Maybe to invade the U.S. ?
It seems to me that things are unfolding slowly, world war 3 is starting, we all need to prepare.

200 mil?

In 2000, the total estimated personnel strength of the Chinese military is 2.5 million, of which 1.8 million are in service with the PLA (ground forces). The ground forces are divided into 7 military regions with 27 military districts. Within the 7 military regions lie 21 Group Armies, each containing about 60,000 personnel. The Group Armies contain among them 44 infantry divisions, 13 infantry brigades, 10 armored divisions, 12 armored brigades, 5 artillery divisions, 20 artillery brigades, and 7 helicopter regiments. In addition, 5 infantry divisions, 2 infantry brigades, 1 armored brigade, 1 artillery division, 3 artillery brigades, and 3 anti-aircraft artillery (AAA) brigades

Click Me

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Cocain is a helluva drug.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Pay no attention to this thread, the chinese are our friends!

I wonder, can we shot down satellites and should we put satellites around the Moon for back up of our defense systems!

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Hm... the United States makes up less than 1/20th of the world's population and yet the U.S. military budget accounts for nearly 1/2 of the world's military budget. What would a nation with THAT much in military spending do? Maybe invade little oil rich nations for "dissapearing WMD's?"

it seems to me that things HAVE unfold... Iraq was only the beginning.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

As another person pointed out the Chinese Army has around 2.5 million soldiers (slightly more than the U.S). Also do you really think that 200 million soldiers are going to do much against the U.S? If my facts are right the U.S has 2000 more nuclear missiles than anyone else and, coupled with chemical/biological weapons etc China wouldn't stand much of a chance.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
it would be smarter if us wanted to go to war with china the us would attack then pull out and just mass troops and missiles on the borders

there 2billion or whatever crazy numbered army wouldnt even make it to the us a mainland

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Uh... have you guys forgotten that China has hundreds of nuclear weapons as well? Rofl... guess not, because I couldn't imagine the outcome of the U.S. with hundreds of the U.S.' largest cities gone. I couldn't imagine anyone willing to trade the destruction of one own's country for anothers.

Again and again I hear this ignorant talk of how the U.S. is untouchable and that all we have to do is "bomb" China... Get a grip on reality.

[edit on 18-1-2007 by k4rupt]

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mel1962
I wonder, can we shot down satellites and should we put satellites around the Moon for back up of our defense systems!

Yes we do, in several ways, we publicly demonstrated this capability in the early 80's. Anyway, we have known this threat for a long time (see Space Pearl Harbor), which is why there are (and have been) several programs underway (quiet ones) to address this problem. Creating several delivery systems to quickly and cheaply launch multiple satellites into orbit on short notice. Creating space based anti-satellite weapons. Ground lasers, and in the future space lasers, kinetic interceptors which can target both nuclear warheads and missiles such as this one in all stages of flight. And finally the creation of several groups to jam and disrupt the satellite communications of enemy states.

Not to mention that shooting down your own satellite which you know the trajectory of, which wont attempt to maneuver or change orbit, which wont deploy any countermeasures and which is probably beaming at you. Is not the same as shooting down US military satellites in a time of war.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I think the world is planning to overthrow the United States and destroy it once and for all!

I hope they fall at it and I hope the American people, I mysef am one would stand up agianst any invasion attempt and defeat it!

Look under the NWO thread "US invaded by Foreign Troops" by Melbourne Milita its a good read

and looking at that article. And looking at what is happening around the world I wouldnt be surprised. Iran is meddling in Iraq, Iran is visiting countries within South America and the world is just rising to take us down its visiable lets stop it now!

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt

Hm... the United States makes up less than 1/20th of the world's population and yet the U.S. military budget accounts for nearly 1/2 of the world's military budget. What would a nation with THAT much in military spending do? Maybe invade little oil rich nations for "dissapearing WMD's?"

it seems to me that things HAVE unfold... Iraq was only the beginning.

You kicked his ass. Great reply

True aswell.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Suppose some of your satellites are destroyed,your GPS navigation system doesn't function properly,so your nuclear warheads probably will hit the wrong target.

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Minuteman III ICBM and Trident SLBM use inertial guidance and not GPS. The Trident also does guidance through a stellar sensor. So, knocking out GPS will not make those two nuke delivery systems miss. It might be different with bomber launched nuclear warheads, but with nukes, accuracy isn't the most important thing anyway...WW2 bomber accuracy works just fine.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join