It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Marines cling to Apache's to rescue comrade.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I know there are brave acts carried out everyday by our forces overseas, but this one caught my eye especially. A group of Royal Marines clung to Apache choppers before being dropped off to retrieve a lost comrade.

Royal Marines have carried out one of the most daring rescue missions ever staged to retrieve the body of a fallen comrade in Afghanistan.

It followed a ferocious battle in which 200 British troops backed by artillery, helicopters and aircraft raided a fort believed to be a major headquarters for Taliban militants.

Officials say that as the troops advanced they were engaged from several insurgent positions.

On retreat they discovered one Marine was missing and four men volunteered to go on a daring rescue mission.

Apache attack helicopters were used to mount the raid.

They have no room for passengers inside, so incredibly the Marines clung to the hand and footholds the crew use to climb in and out of the aircraft.

They then flew into the battle zone to locate Lance corporal Mathew Ford, the pilots also leaving the helicopters to give covering fire.

Source: news.sky.com...

CX.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Wow, great story, thanks for sharing!

These guys are true heroes!

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Now this I am proud for my taxes to be spent on.

The best in the world and not leaving one of their own behind.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Calling this ballsy is an understatement, they definately got some massive ones to fly into a combat zone with no cover from enemy small arms fire, hanging onto an attack chopper. Thats crazy, but these men deserve the title of heroes.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
My son sent me a great pic of another rescue by chopper. I would like to share it here, but I don't know how. I received it as an e-mail attachment.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
My son sent me a great pic of another rescue by chopper. I would like to share it here, but I don't know how. I received it as an e-mail attachment.

photobucket.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
With the size of these guys balls, its amazing that the helicopter was able to take off. Think of the noise and wind hitting you from the rotors on top of getting shot at while being a big virtually unprotected target.

I didnt know the UK used Apache. Cool.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
They strapped them selves to the wings of the helicopter but I dont see how marines can do this are they trained to do it? or would it have been sas along side them aswell my cus is in the raf and is over there now guess when he gets back I'll ask him do have to say those men have b++++ of steel to do that.

BBc News

[edit on 01/01/2007 by SE7EN]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
with all the bad news thats coming out of Iraq and afgan
nice to see some courage out there

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SE7EN
They strapped them selves to the wings of the helicopter but I dont see how marines can do this are they trained to do it? or would it have been sas along side them aswell my cus is in the raf and is over there now guess when he gets back I'll ask him do have to say those men have b++++ of steel to do that.

BBc News

[edit on 01/01/2007 by SE7EN]

You do know the RM has its own special forces...right?

I doubt most marines are trained in emergancy apache gunship to transport helicopter procedures but ducktape is the mother of necessity.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Simply this:

Cuhail

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
An initial plan was hatched to use Viking vehicles but they eventually concluded that the Apache WAH-64 attack helicopters would provide a quicker and safer means to get him out and back to safety.

And so four troops were strapped to the small side 'wings' of two Apaches, two to each helicopter. A third Apache provided aerial cover, and further units laid down a mass of covering fire while the other two Apaches landed.

All four men got off, as well as some of the aircrew, to provide additional firepower and to assist with the recovery of Lance Corporal Ford.

UK Task Force spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Rory Bruce, said:

"It was a leap into the unknown. This is believed to be the first time UK forces have ever tried this type of rescue mission.

"It was an extraordinary tale of heroism and bravery of our airmen, soldiers and marines who were all prepared to put themselves back into the line of fire to rescue a fallen comrade."

Explaining the rationale behind the initial attack on the fort, Lt Col Bruce added:

"Our intention was to show the insurgents that they are not safe anywhere, that we are able to reach out to them and attack whenever and wherever we choose, even where they think they are at their safest. To that end, the mission was a success and the insurgents now know we can and will strike at any time.

"By conducting operations on this basis we do not allow the Taliban to regroup and rearm during the winter period. The attack reflects UKTF’s intent to restore confidence in the local population in the Garmsir area, to allow locals to improve their livelihoods without fear of persecution from Taliban.

link
press release
good on you guys

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The AP has posted a short video of the operation as well as a report.

The footage is reported as a recording of the actual event.

AP Video

(there is a 15sec commercial, the video is imeediately after)

mg

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
what an amazing thing they did,

Im sure it makes us all beam with heart.

I hope all of these men get an award of some kind as what they did was so brave,

I feel for the family of the man that lost his life, But im sure they will find some peace in what the others did to try and save him,

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I fanally got a copy of the picture I wanted to share with you all.

"http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o84/Astronomer70/militaryflyinginAfganistan.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">

Hope I did that right.

Anyway, look at the pic and then look again closely to realize just what you are seeing. The pilot was a National Guardsman from Pennsylvania.

I don't think that came out right yet. Someone, anyone who knows how to fix it let me know.

Just look at the terrain our boys are trying to patrol if you had any illusions that things were easy over there.

[edit on 22-1-2007 by Astronomer70]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   

posted by SenHeathen
I didnt know the UK used Apache. Cool.

Indeed we do. We have 67 in total. Some of the training for the REME engineers that fix these monsters takes place just down the road from me at Arborfield Garrison...

posted by SE7EN
They strapped them selves to the wings of the helicopter but I dont see how marines can do this are they trained to do it? or would it have been sas along side them aswell my cus is in the raf and is over there now guess when he gets back I'll ask him do have to say those men have b++++ of steel to do that

Little known fact. The Apache actually has harnesses on the wings for precisely this purpose...

No "special" training required, although one must admit that anyone who is RM is exceptionally trained anyway.

As they say 99% need not apply.

posted by bodrul
with all the bad news thats coming out of Iraq and afgan
nice to see some courage out there

You should watch the Despatches episode with the British soldiers in Afghan. Bravery every day of the week. You have to see it too believe it.

posted by asala
I hope all of these men get an award of some kind as what they did was so brave,

Indeed they will, without a doubt. Probably not VC's, but they'll get something shiny.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
I fanally got a copy of the picture I wanted to share with you all.

"http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o84/Astronomer70/militaryflyinginAfganistan.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">

Hope I did that right.

Anyway, look at the pic and then look again closely to realize just what you are seeing. The pilot was a National Guardsman from Pennsylvania.

I don't think that came out right yet. Someone, anyone who knows how to fix it let me know.

Just look at the terrain our boys are trying to patrol if you had any illusions that things were easy over there.

[edit on 22-1-2007 by Astronomer70]

Take the url part between the ""'s, click on Insert Image, and paste the url.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I was going to do as you said, but see you have already done it. Great pic isn't it? According to my son This photo was taken by a soldier in Afghanistan of a helo rescue mission. The pilot is a PA Guard guy who flies EMS choppers in civilian life. Now how many people on the planet you reckon could set the ass-end of a chopper down on the roof top of a shack on a steep mountain cliff and hold it there while soldiers load wounded men in the rear. I can't even imagine having the nerve ... much less the talent and ability! You can see where the rear wheels have partially penetrated the roof of the shack.

However, aside from the amazing skill shown by the pilot, take a look at the background. I'm sure glad I never had to search/patrol terrain such as that.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Great photo, and an outstanding display of skill. It tells the story of what our boys do every week over there. They don't get the credit they so well deserve.

Thanks for the pic, and if you have any other questions about inserting images or whatever, feel free to u2u.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Stunning, absolutly stunning. i doubt the Taliban have the integrity to recover their commrads like this nor the balls.

Good lord thats what real men and soldiers are supposed to be like. An excellent model for any armed force.

recently I was talking to my buddy. He's been a carrer seal in team 5. We got around to talking about the various military units from around the world and which ones impressed him the most. He said that the British Royal Marines were some of the best men he's ever worked with or around, said that he even preffered their attitudes over the SAS (not to take anything away from the SAS) my firends last words regarding the BRM's was "Never F*** with the British Royal Marines."

If a seal wants them to watch his back going in to combat than you know they must kick some serious ass.

Again, an absolutely stunning display of commradarie,courage and morals. These dudes deserve some medals, pilots too. Maybe a ceremonial pair of bronzed or brass balls.

top topics

join