It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death To Be Commuted As Drug Suspect Becomes Pregnant in Jail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Possession of huge amount of prohibited drugs (Certain amount of a specific kind of drug i.e. trading or trafficking 600 grams of heroin) is punishable by death in Vietnam. Well, not at least if you are pregnant. Vietnamese law does not allow execution of a pregnant woman or a woman having child under three years old. Several months there was another woman in the death row had got pregnant in solitary confinement in northern Hoa Binh province. The death sentence was reduced to life imprisonment. But the incident caused several prison guards to be punished.

www.thanhniennews.com
A woman facing drug charges in Vietnam mysteriously became pregnant in prison and, under the law, is to have a death sentence commuted to life.

She told the court her child belonged to “a prison inmate” but that no one helped the two get together and she has done it “herself”. Male and female prison inmates are kept strictly apart.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems that it is becoming a trend here in Vietnam. One of the surest way to be commuted to life imprisonment for a woman who received a death sentence is to become pregnant. Another one is that a convicted womanwho has a child under three years of age when the death sentence was given.

Then there comes the morality question. The guards or inmates who"helped" the condemned woman to become pregnant. They saved a life. They may be heroes, but one should not discount the fact that they violated certain laws.

Laws of God & laws of men. But what should be the most important here? How can we judge fairly someone on this case? I am not sure of the laws of other countries but I find this one complicated.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Wow drug posession is punishable by death. I'm all for capital punishment but somehow drug trafficking doesn't seem to fall into the category of what I believe to be acceptable reasons for ending a life. It should be reserved for very heinous crimes.

If your correct in that possession of 600 grams of heroin is punishable by death in Vietnam that is a little scary. Yes that is a lot of heroin enough for a couple thousand junkies to shoot up. But, to me, it's still very different than intentionally taking another persons life. I have no problem with whatever and whoever was done to spare some persons life for this type of crime.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
It may be Vietnam's right to have such laws, but I've got to say that's downright wrong. And assuming that it wasn't rape (which it probably was considering it's prison) than my respect goes out to the father. Although the problem I see here is that it's sexist in nature as men can't exactly get pregnant. At least not yet, and at least not naturally.

join