It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow in texas... little bit odd?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
you have to be jerking my chain. it does'nt snow in texas!
its not that bad is it? ive heard 'rumors' but show me some evidence...

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Both from personal experience and historical record :

Top ten consecutive days .1 or more snowfall - Midland, Texas

Heck, we've even gotten snow down here in Florida

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
It snows in Texas! Maybe not in all parts of Texas... but it does snow.
And with Global Warming/Cooling happening, it seems to snow there more now than it used to. I haven't been to Texas for about 7 years now, but I did get to experience snow there in their short winters a few times. I really don't like cold weather very much.

Just something I came across:
Record snowfall covered southern and eastern Texas on December 25, 2004. Anywhere from two to six inches of snow accumulated on an otherwise tropical area. This was the first snow accumulation in Brownsville, Texas (the southernmost American city along the US-Mexico border) in 109 years. Just days after the snow fell, temperatures rose back into the 80s (Fahrenheit) and melted the surprise away.

Check out this link below for a few pics of "snow in texas":
images.google.com... n%20texas%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I went to college in texas in the early 80's.....there was a nice snowstorm. I'm originally from upstate NY. snow in texas isn't half as surprising as is how badly texans drive in snow.

central NY, where I am from on the other hand, just got their first significant snowfall for the year this month...that is quite unusual.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Snow in Texas is not unusual.

Snow in Florida is unusual, but happens from time to time. I lived in Florida for like 20 years and got snow flurries once as I remember.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to snow in New York City anymore (my current residence)

[edit on 1/17/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Here in California we have been having some odd weather also....Peoples pipes bursting because of the water freezing, etc. Never would have guessed in the desert of southern California, at 8 AM, it would be 34 degrees F.

Not complaining or anything...Feels good for a change.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Yes, I can say from personal experience it does snow in Texas--the parts I used to live in, at least. El Paso--west Texas, all desert, and regularly triple digits in the summer--generally gets a decent snowfall at least once every couple of years. Nothing that would compare with further north--only about maybe an inch or two at most, but it sticks and people pretend to make snowmen with it.

I was at Texas Tech for a semester in Lubbock; either Oct or Nov of 99 I woke one morning to see snow on the ground.

dawnstar is also 100% correct--from everything I've seen, Texans do not have the slightest clue how to drive in the snow. I include myself in that, though technically not a Texan anymore. I think we/they have a similar mentality to the OP--"It doesn't snow here...WTH??!?!"--and flip out once the roads turn white.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Well Im in So cal too and it snowed here last year in the Mountain area of LA and a few days ago a pipe did burst in our front yard because it froze. By the way we are on the mountain at 2000 ft.

Can you believe it snowed in Malibu today! No joke, it was on the news

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Weather changes, anomalies are to be expected.

join