It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Start To The Peace Process

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
According to a report in an Israel paper Israel and Syria have reached an understanding that might be a precursor for a peace agreement. The understanding is mainly on the future of the Golan Heights and support for Hezbollah and Hamas. The have been no official peace talks between Israel and Syria since 2000. No agreement has been agreed on and no document has been signed but the understanding could be politically significant if further peace talks happen. The key points of the understanding is for Israel to completely with draw from the Golan Heights to the border before the 1967 six day war, in return for a buffer zone along the sea of Galilee.

www.spiegel.de
Officially there have been no peace talks between arch-enemies Israel and Syria since the last round broke down in 2000. Behind the scenes, however, it has been a different story -- at least if a new report is to be believed.

The Tel Aviv-based newspaper Haaretz claims that Israel and Syria held secret talks between September 2004 and July 2006. According to the newspaper, the two countries drafted a so-called "non-paper," a document that is not signed by the parties involved and is not legally binding. The document would be politically significant, however, since the two countries reportedly came to an agreement on several key points.

The report claims that Israel offered to completely withdraw from the Golan Heights to what had been the border before the 1967 Six-Day War, if in turn a buffer zone in the form of an extensive park were set up along the Sea of Galilee. The park would be administered by Syria, which would guarantee free access to the park for Israelis. Both nations agreed to create demilitarized areas along both sides of the border.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

My first impression is if there is any chance for peace by all means it must be pursued. However then I must think of what has been happening for the last few years. There have been many attempts at peace since the last round of conflicts have broken out. Every time immediately after the agreement was reached a bomb or a missile was exploding some where. The reason being peace is counter productive to the desires of some, namely Hamas. What is the desire is the destruction of Israel. So now we have another understanding for possible peace. So my guess would be at this point, there will be more bombs, and more missiles soon exploding again.

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.aljazeera.com
breakingnews.iol.ie
www.haaretz.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Middle East See Little Hope In Palestinian
blood will flow in Isreal in just hours

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Just want to post another link that I found that is contradictery to the whole idea of a peace understanding.
link

Senior Israeli officials are pouring cold water on reports that a secret peace deal was reached with Syria last year.

According to the Israeli daily Haaretz, the deal would involve Israel returning the occupied Golan Heights to Syrian sovereignty, 40 years after they were seized in the 1967 war.

Most of the area would become a park to which Israelis would have unfettered access, and Israel would continue to control the waters of the Jordan River and the Sea of Galilee.

[edit on 16-1-2007 by RedGolem]

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Maybe Syria is affraid of being crushed by the US military and they are trying to save the situation into discuting with Israël and distance themselves from Iran... Good for them if this report is true, but in the end, i'm pretty sure Syria will be attacked, they are on the globalist hit list.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Just to say again any chance of peace is good, but at this time I am going to half to guess that the second post will be the true one. Meaning the original news report was false. I guess time will tell which is correct but it may be a long time.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   
A responce from Syria.

Syria denied on Tuesday an Israeli media report that it has contacted Israel for peace understandings, the official SANA news agency reported.

An official source from the foreign ministry made the denial in an interview, saying "such information is categorically unfounded and baseless", SANA reported, without giving further details.

The denial came after Israeli daily Ha'aretz reported on its website earlier Tuesday that Israel and Syria has reached understandings, at an unofficial level, for a peace agreement through a series of secret meetings in Europe between Sept. 2004 and July 2006.

The Israeli
Peoples daily

top topics

join