It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC Attack?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Just wondering how high on your list of prioritys is NBC protection? (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical)

Dont worry... i am not looking for peoples kit lists
(although feel free to list it if you want) just want to know how seriously people take this threat.

Living close to a major city, it is something i feel i must be prepared for, and have taken most of the precautions that i can.

Also... Does anyone on here know anything about radiation detectors? how do they work? are they reliable? where can i get one and how much do they cost ect...

It would be great to have a portable device i can carry around to give me an indication of "hot zones"

I found some websites... which went a little over my head with tech jargon. I have a limited budget and want something that is cheap and reliable... I know very little about detection so any advise is very welcome

I do however have chem detection papers

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
To say I was concerned about it is an understatement. it is very high on my list of priortys. I like many people prefer a foe I can see.
Ime not so concerned about the nuclear side of things and not freaking about the bio either. What really concerns me is the chemical. It doesnt take much to wip up a batch of toxic chemicals and let it loose in a inclosed space, like what happened in the japanese subway. You can take your NBC equiptment with you but that stuff can get a little heavy after a while. I keep a NBC kit in the jeep, Wont help me much if ime in the building but I gotta atleast try. In all honesty the odds of a NBC attack are slim but ive been known to beat the odds before.
We have done what we can and thats all we can do. I wont stop living then the terrorist win and I dont like loosing.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I would say that its reasonable to be concerned about a small scale chemical attack, like the nerve gas in the Tokyo subways. Someone could whip up some mustard gas or chlorine gas and let it loose in an office building or something like that.

For something like that, I'd think that all you can do is put on a mask, open the windows, and get out of the direction of the flow of air.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Dirty bomb's is one of my fears... although i have the kit to get myself out of the city...

I also own decontamination powder... but i heard you can decontaminate yourself with a hose down and household detergent. Always good to decontaminate before removing protective clothing and entering your living area!

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It`s certainly up there on my list and I've equipped accordingly. Where I live we're at rather minimal risk of NBC events but I feel we need to be prepared just the same.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I work in and around nuclear reactors so I am somewhat familiar with the concept of radiation and also contamination.

The question I have for some of you more well versed in this from parenting children..is what is the shelf life of these baby wipes. Not haveing exercised the ritual I do not actually know.

My plans are to acquire several dispensers of baby wipes as they are relatively inexpensive. These fitted in with plans for decontamination proceedures. This would be important the first few days after such an event. Duct tape is also on my list. Decontamination can be done with tape. Duct tape is the most readily available. IT is labor intensive compared to baby wipes but it can be done in a pinch. THe technique is called "Tape Presses." Just dont go back over previously pressed or desontaminated places with the contaminated tape. SAme with the baby wipes.
Duct tape is of course very handy for a multitude of things in good times as well as bad.

Those of you who have been out in the field for the military will also recognize baby wipes as a method of "Dry Cleaning." All the soldiers tell me that these are a great invention for keeping clean in the field where water is very scarce.

My main issue with them is what is the shelf life of these..how often will they need to be replaced??

I was in a wholesale club yesterday and decided to go down the aisle with the dispoasble diapers and the baby wipes. Normally I don't venture down this aisle..but did so to check out the per carton price for these wipes. It was about $32.00 per case.

Lacking any responses I will just purchase some small containers from Wally World and keep them around until I ascertain for myself the shelf life and how or by what method I can extend this shelf life.

Thanks to all for thier posts,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Luckily I live right on the edge of London. It isn't hard to get out onto the major motorways. London is obviously the prime target in the UK, considering it is the political, economic and cultural centre.

If god forbid anything happens in London, we will be getting in our 4x4 and legging it up north. Thats our plan.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by undercoverchef
Also... Does anyone on here know anything about radiation detectors? how do they work? are they reliable? where can i get one and how much do they cost ect...

It would be great to have a portable device i can carry around to give me an indication of "hot zones"

The most portable devices that I've seen have been the NukAlert and RadDetect keychains (both are "authorized by DHS ODP"), but you could probably find something a little larger, and costing a bit less, if you're on a budget.

[edit on 1/15/07 by redmage]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The most portable devices that I've seen have been the NukAlert and RadDetect keychains (both are "authorized by DHS ODP"), but you could probably find something a little larger, and costing a bit less, if you're on a budget.

Wow... great find thanks m8

One of those would be very handy to carry around... obviously i cannot take a large rad detector to work hehe so one of these would be useful. One of the problems of 7/7 was how long it took the authorities to determine (or at least get the info to us) if it was an NBC attack.

I would like to get a larger more precise instrument to keep at home... Just to give me an indication of where is safe and where is not

orangetom1999 - Great idea with the baby wipes
and id never considered duct tape for decon use

I did hear that most of the radiation is from the dust particles that are thrown up into the atmosphere and then come back down to earth (fallout)... and that its the dust you need to try and avoid getting into your home/bunker/base... duct tape would be great for taping up the edges of doors, windows ect...

But i may be wrong so please feel free to educate me on this hehe

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
To wipe down surface there are several products:

- Clorox wipes
- Greased Lightning antibacterial kitchen cleaner (spray and wipe with paper towel)
- Lysol disinfectant cleaner (use full strength in a sprayer bottle)
- Mr. Clean antibacterial (use full strength in a sprayer bottle)

For personal use in case water is off or contaminated the following are adult size cloths (if they dry out it is my guess you can rehydrate with water):

Disposable Washcloths
At Ease Adult disposable washcloths in easy open plastic tub.
9"X13" size for use with adults or children. 12 tubs per case $47.70

www.hotelsupplies-online.com...

This is under $4 per tub.

Pre-Moistened Washcloths-1 Tub
Specially formulated for intcontinent clean-up and geriatric skin, WINGS Washcloths help moisturize the skin with the benefit of Aloe Vera as they work. No rinsing or drying is necessary. Wings 1 tub (64 wipes/tub)
Price: $8.99 with FREE UPS Shipping

www.dhphomedelivery.com...

There is another product for personal use "Fresh Bath", but the cost is rather high for the quantity, however, they are good to include in a "go bag" because they are not bulky. Most of the preparedness online stores carry them.

Please note that it is not my intent to endorse any product, I am simply sharing the items which I myself have either purchased or plan to purchase. I continue to search for the most effective and economical common sense product.

[edit on 15-1-2007 by Siren]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Dont worry... i am not looking for peoples kit lists (although feel free to list it if you want) just want to know how seriously people take this threat.

In addition to the wipes I have purchased Activated Charcoal. I intend to take it orally (capsule form) and also wash my body with it (granule form) followed by a lime oil and lotion mixture. Several health and herbal stores carry the products at reasonable prices.

Activated Charcoal Medicinal Tips

Activated charcoal is an extremely effective remedy for nearly all poisonings ......Tylenol, Aspirin, barbiturates, chemicals, etc.. Since Charcoal binds nutrients very poorly, an iron tablet overdose will be little helped by it. Strong acid or alkali substances are also best treated by neutralizing the substance with something of the opposite ph. Common household substances would be Vinegar, which is acid, for an alkali poisoning such as lye; or Baking Soda, which is alkali, for an acid poisoning such as a hydrochloric acid poisoning. Though such poisonings are rare, when they occur, it is a great comfort to have the cure at once on hand, and the knowledge of how to administer it, without dependence on a derelict and self-serving medical community.

www.bagelhole.org...

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the site on Charcoal. I have read it and bookmarked it for future use and reference.

Very Intresting,

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   

In addition to the wipes I have purchased Activated Charcoal. I intend to take it orally (capsule form) and also wash my body with it (granule form) followed by a lime oil and lotion mixture.

I never knew that either... thanks m8... I know they use Activated Charcoal in NBC protective suites but had no idea you could take it orally!

some great links there many thanks

new topics

top topics

join