It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the significance of 5p

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
does anyone know why me and my family might be finding british 5p's around the house and my car in and out of the car and house that is.
they are everywhere.
we have even started saving them up in jar to see how many we could.

this has been happening for the last couple of years.

ieven found one out sind on a cold day and it was warm but i was the first person outside cos im the first up.

anyone got any ideas.

all i can think is the number five and silver is important because its always 5ps.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I too keep on finding them and have pondered the point.

But I think it is simply the result of a few facts and there interaction.

1) Most people do not carry bronze or copper coin these days. It usually gets put in that jar on the sideboard. So there is more "silver" in the pocket.

2) It is a small coin...not like the old 5p. It is easily dropped unnoticed and even if people did, would they take the time to pick it up? I dropped one at a supermarket before xmas. Just to make a point I chased it for about 10 metres. I picked it up and looked at the faces of other shoppers and thought the same as them. "Why bother?"

3) A lot of prices are rounded to 5p...95p, 45p etc. Meaning more 5p's in our change.

So really I think we are seeing the result of the above. A lot of very small insignificant coins being lost.

But what do I know.

join