It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hip-hop addresses the danger of Guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Well respected hip-hop artist Pharoahe Monche has released a video for his song "Gun Draws" today. It has been deemed unsuitable for network TV, due to its tackling of gun culture.
Pharaohe Monche has often spoken about social situations in an intelligent way, and is considered one of hip-hops best hardcore political MCs, ranking along side Immortal Technique and Jedi Mind Tricks.

www.allhiphop.com...

Catch the video there, it certainly gives a good perspective of the actual dangers of guns...

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Nice video. Although it my experience it isn't a problem with the "dangers of guns" but more a danger with the people who carry them. Can you agree to some extent?

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Yeah, I think it deals with the blaise attitude some people take towards guns, and how that can effect children who are exposed to this. I think its good as it shows that this glorification of guns is as often displayed in the household as it is on the movie screen.
Another good hip-hop song that addresses guns and their effect is one by Nas on the "It was Written" album, track 3...can' for the lack of me remember what its called though...

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Isnt this the same Pharoh Monch from the "Simon Says" days?

Maybe you recall that video. Ive never seen so many guns in a dance hall.

He seemed pretty happy to have them there and If Im not mistaken part of the chorus involved asking fellow party goers to brandish their firearms in a less than responsable fashion.

Is this a real change for Monch or is he trying to make a living by appealing to all the kids who like Common, Black Star, and the like.

Anyway, Im tired of people blaming guns for accidents. Its like blaming a hammer for smashing your finger. Maybe, if youve watched the video, you could blame angry, drunk, abusive, careless parents. But its just alot easier to take it out on a defenseless object than societal troubles and problems individuals may have.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well, to me, i think the old adage, "guns dont kill people, people kill people" comes to mind. The trouble is, people dont seem to understand this concept, and they continue to buy guns, in an attempt to protect themselves against others who have guns. it gets to be a big vicious circle that seems never ending. Can anyone here really foresee a future that doesnt have people killing other people with guns? i cant.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Pistol in my house to protect my family.

new topics

top topics

join