It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abbas Outlaws Hamas Police Force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
President Mohmoud Abbas of the Palestinian authority outlawed the Hamas led interior Ministries police force. The Hamas paramillitary police force was is the most powerful armed unit outside of his control. The ministry responded with defiance. Also announced place to double the size of its black uniformed paramilitary force. U.S. Officials have said they expect to ask for one hundred million to support Abbas with training and supplies.

www.latimes.com
RAMALLAH, WEST BANK — Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas on Saturday outlawed the Hamas-led Interior Ministry's police force, the most powerful armed unit outside his control in factional fighting that has left 33 people dead in the last month.

The ministry responded with defiance. It announced plans to double the size of the black-uniformed paramilitary force and vowed to resist Abbas' order that its 6,000 members be incorporated into the security apparatus loyal to the president's Fatah movement.

The dueling announcements raised the prospect of an intensified armed standoff. Abbas' only means of enforcing the order appeared to be coercive action by police and security units under his command, but they are relatively weak in the Gaza Strip, Hamas' stronghold.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a good reason why a political party should not have its own paramilitary force. It is unfortunate that this is how it seems politics is done in that region. Egypt has already shipped weapons and ammunition to Abbsas with the approval of Israel, now it seems the U.S. may be throwing some more money and weapons into the pot. I don't know what the outcome will be. A civil war in the west bank does seem to be the most possible at this moment. All I think I can say is that it is unfortunate that it seems we all can't just get along.

Related News Links:
www.ynetnews.com
www.nytimes.com
www.bloomberg.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Middle East See Little Hope In Palestinian
Terrorists Are Being Paid By Hizbullah For Firing Missiles Into Gaza

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
No one wants a piece of this? The polarization of the Palestinian government to the point of outlawing various factions? I find it most amusing, and a telling indictment of what the Palestinian cause truly is. It's not about freedom, or the reclamation of territory... It's a money grab... A fine legacy of graft and corruption willed to the people of Palestine by the worlds most lovable terrorist; Yasser Arafat. A passing resemblance to Ringo Starr will carry you far (much further than it's carried Ringo) whilst hijacking aircraft and bombing civilians... Not to mention the satisfaction of having the U.N. drop to it's knees and appease (or is it please?) you every time money gets tight. I would be remiss if I didn't mention a certain American President's predilection for catering to every want and need of the Michael Jackson of the Middle East. Jimmy Carter was only eclipsed by the Bill and Hillary show, a fine comedy of errors when it came to dealing with the "Whore of Gaza." Yasser never met an aid check he wasn't ready to deposit in his own account, nor a languishing Palestinian he wasn't ready to sacrifice in his never ending quest for a fatter bank balance. His teachings are being well followed... All at the meager expense of the masses... But that's never been the crux of the issue anyway.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
There can only be discussions for peace once political groups in the Palestinian territory deny their military wings. Hopefully it doesn't have to come to a civil war for the Palestinians however like the previous poster said it is a money grab and the individuals will do what is best for them not their people.

Abbas seems to be the best or most moderate leader for the Palestinians in some time, hopefully he can keep hold of the power regardless of what may happen.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Yes in most situations there should not be paramilitary forces attached to particular political parties, but what about when the government does not afford the citizens the protection from hostiles that it so deserves?

Several people were killed in a raid in Palestine while looking for "Jihad men" and only innocent civilians were killed once again. What is Abbas doing to protect his people? It seems he is willingly co-operating with Israel in order to remove the democratically elected representatives of the people.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit
Hopefully it doesn't have to come to a civil war for the Palestinians however like the previous poster said it is a money grab and the individuals will do what is best for them not their people.

Low Orbit,
From what all has been said hear I think you said it about the best. I don't know how must of the motivations behind everything is a money grab but i do fear its going to be a civil war. I also think that in general people will always do what is in there own best interest.

new topics

top topics

join