It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you Fear God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Just wondering...

Christians: Do any of you, besides loving Him, fear God? Why if so, or why not?

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I guess my point of view would be as a christian-raised Agnostic... In the old testament, nobody could look at God or they would die. That's probably of fright lol.

Right now, he's not very real to me... so I don't fear him so to speak. I've just never had an experience that made him "real" to me.

But I imagine if I ever came face to face with him, I'd lose my senses. It wouldn't even be fear. It would just be whatever. Scared to think, totally under his power at that point not much you can do.

Some people would say that is dumb, that God loves you and all you need is to accept Jesus. Do you really think that God is going to be impressed by such overconfidence as you swagger into heaven? Do you really think he's going to say, "Oh yeah so-and-so knows what's going on up here already, no need to teach them anything new."

So there's my answer.. of course I would fear him if it ever came to where my fate was in his hands!

I know if I ever see God, I am going to shutup and listen and pay attention as well as I can.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowAmFound
Just wondering...

N A F
I don't consider it fear, it is moreover I revere Him. Reverance for what He is, as uncomprehensible as that may be. I think if one believes they have hidden something from Him, that might invoke a type of fear, maybe a fear of His judgement or wrath, but I believe that He already knows everything I have done or will do. So what I try to do is to remain honest with Him and myself, and continue to ask His forgiveness for my failure's where I come up short and guidance to lead me on the direction He wants me to go. Living in this world is not an easy task for those who truely wish to please God, and walk the path He chooses for us to follow.
One is not removed from the order of this world simply because they are called by God. I think some experience the fear of failure to live up to the expectations they feel God has of them, but I think the fear itself is misplaced, and a tool of the devil to lead one away from the path to God.
Oh my did I say the "d" word?, yes I did, fear is the tool of the devil, trying to make us feel unworthy of the Father's Love.
I think if you translate the word "fear" in the Scriptue's to "revere" it makes much more sense, anyway, that's what I think about that...
For Christ's Sake...

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yes, I suppose, perfect love kills fear. Sometimes I fear what His plan for my life might be...something I might not want at all, and then, of course, the expectation that I must accept it and learn from it and know it is for the best.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowAmFound
Do you Fear God?

Only when i think i have reason for doing so. Say, for instance if i know i have offended God, then fearing God would be justified. If I have no reason to believe i have offended God, then why would i fear reprocussion or consequences of God's judgment upon me?

Just wondering...

If you wanted to make friends with a wild animal, it is hard when it keeps running away, now isn't it?

If God wanted to make friends with a wild human, it is hard when it keeps running away, now isn't it?

Although i slightly dissagree with some members on this subject (members i do respect), i think God neither wants to be alone, nor does God want us to fear God. I do not see how fearing God is the same as Loving God, although both demonstrate reverence for God. One reverence that is Love is reverence from a compliant and obediant (tamed) soul. While the other (FEAR) is a reverence for God from the standpoint of a soul who believes they have reason to fear God's judgment, because they feel they have offended God somehow.

I don't believe God wants us to fear God.

One can have respect, admiration, love, and reverence for God without shunning away from God because of FEAR.

This is how i view my relationship with the almighty, although i do respect the ideals of others on this issue.

Good Thread Topic, and GREAT Question!

Editted to add:

Upon further dwelling on this i would like to add:

I think LOVE is the highway, or path that needs to be followed.
I think TRUTH is where the highway/path of LOVE leads to.
I think FEAR is a different path, seperate from LOVE's path.

Thanks,
john

[edit on 7-1-2007 by Esoteric Teacher]

top topics

join