It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Archbishop of Warsaw May Have Had "Special Agent Training" From Communists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The obligation to meet with Communist officials which Polish priests held during the Soviet era may have been placed the newly appointed Archbishop of Warsaw in an untennable position. Documents from the former Polish Secret Police suggest that Stanislaw Wielgus may have collaborated more than most priests who were required to meet with security agents. The Pope earlier insisted that he has reviewed the history and approved the appointment, but the Polish media, and now also a Church investigation, say that Wielgus was a collaborator who recieved special training as an informant.

news.bbc.co.uk
Stanislaw Wielgus has been at the centre of a furore in Poland since a newspaper questioned his past after his appointment by the Vatican.

He repeated on Friday: "I did not carry out any intelligence task. I never inflicted any harm on anyone." He said documents suggesting otherwise were drawn up only by communist "functionaries".

Then on Friday the Church's own investigative committee said: "There exist numerous, important documents which show that Father Stanislaw Wielgus said he was ready to collaborate, in a conscious and secret manner, with the communist security services, and that he had begun that collaboration."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I respect what faith does for people and I have genuine sympathy for the stress this could put on believers who lived through the communist era, but it also reinforces my distrust of heirarchy in religion. If the Vatican already reviewed this man's history, wouldn't they have known these things?

The politics of such a situation are very curious to me. Was there an attempt to install someone with skeletons in the closet that could be used to control him, or worse, might this decision have been influenced by the recent US vs Russia tug of war over former Warsaw Pact states such as Ukraine and Belarus?

join