It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Audio Problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I'm having issues with audio when I play DVDs on my computer.
It is hard to describe but the audio sounds like it is behind wax paper or something. The audio keeps up with the video no problem.
If I play a avi or mov there are no issues. I have two DVD drives (One writes and other doesn't) and it is the same problem when I play DVDs on either drive.
I run WinXP.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Truthfully I think that this could be the result of a range of things.

First what needs to be known, were there any software/hardware changes made prior to your first noticing the problem?

Do you have Windows Automatic Updates enabled? (Personally I don't like when Windows tries to "help" me, by using the updates. Some older software does not work properly after such updating of Windows.)

What DVD player software or decoder(s) are you using?

Are your drivers for your sound card up to date?

Do you notice any other sound related problems?

Could this be due to any recent changes to your settings?

What configuration do you have in the way of audio output? (I.e., how many speakers do you have?)

Is this a new sound card, or video card?

It is possible that say if you have only 2 speakers, but the DVD is trying to play Surround sound audio, it will not "sound right" if it is not decoded properly down to 2 channnels, for instance.

But those are some things that you can check out. As I do not know the specifics other than what you had listed here, that is the best I can do.

[edit on 1/5/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

First what needs to be known, were there any software/hardware changes made prior to your first noticing the problem?

I did uninstall a player that I didn't like. I'm not sure if the problem was only after I uninstall the program or not.

Do you have Windows Automatic Updates enabled? (Personally I don't like when Windows tries to "help" me, by using the updates. Some older software does not work properly after such updating of Windows.)

I don't but I'm up to date.

What DVD player software or decoder(s) are you using?

I use windvd mostly sometimes I use win media player. I have the same problem with both players.

Are your drivers for your sound card up to date?

I have no idea. My PC is about a year old and I've never intentionally downloaded and drivers for my sound card

Do you notice any other sound related problems?

Sometimes when my computer shuts down the windows shut down music sounds garbled.

Could this be due to any recent changes to your settings?

I don't think so.

What configuration do you have in the way of audio output? (I.e., how many speakers do you have?)

I have two desktop speakers and a subwoofer.

Is this a new sound card, or video card?

No.

It is possible that say if you have only 2 speakers, but the DVD is trying to play Surround sound audio, it will not "sound right" if it is not decoded properly down to 2 channnels, for instance.

I'm not even sure where I would change that.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

I did uninstall a player that I didn't like. I'm not sure if the problem was only after I uninstall the program or not.

Okay, this is the most likely source of the problem, imo.

You say that you use WinDVD or Windows Media Player. Windows Media Player does not have DVD decoders installed natively.

What I would try to do, is completely uninstall WinDVD, then reinstall it.

It should fix any problems caused by the removal of the other DVD player.

I'm thinking that the removal of the other DVD player also removed a DLL or other file that WinDVD also uses.

Have you attempted to use the System Restore function? You could try that, as an alternative to the uninstall/reinstall of WinDVD.

If you still have the same problems, you can undo the changes made by System Restore, then proceed with the uninstall, then reinstall of WinDVD.

Hope this info helps.

[edit on 1/5/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
First:

Originally posted by: Mechanic32
What I would try to do, is completely uninstall WinDVD, then reinstall it.

Last resort:

Have you attempted to use the System Restore function? You could try that, as an alternative to the uninstall/reinstall of WinDVD.

Question:

Is it onboard audio or a sound card?

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Have you tried using different speakers? There's a chance your speakers may have been blown out. The audio card outlet may also be a little loose, so connecting any speaker cord to the outlet may give you the same results.

If it's a software problem, update the sound card drivers, or do a system restore.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah

Have you tried using different speakers?

I doubt that. The problem was not present when playing avi

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I've uninstalled and reinstalled windvd and the problem is still there.

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
Is it onboard audio or a sound card?

I'm not sure. Is there a way to check short of opening my tower?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
onboard audio connections will be in the same area as your mouse/keyboard/usb connections. otherwise, if it is an actual sound card, the connections will be down where the add-on slots are.

i.e.

not exactly the same on all, but should demonstrate the difference.

Although, since it only seems to "affect" while playing DVDs, I'd have to think it's not your audio itself but perhaps a "setting" in the DVD playback software. Can you find anything in the software's "preferences/settings" regarding audio?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Okay thanks. It is onboard then.

The same problem occurs regardless of what player I use. I checked my settings in those players and found nothing that solved the problem.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Try:
Control Panel --> Sounds and Audio Devices

In the "speaker settings" section [at the bottom] click "advanced" and choose "desktop stereo speakers". Goto the "performance" tab and click "restore defaults". Click Apply [if it's active], then ok.

?
?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I've actually tried that and it didn't correct the problem.

It is incredibly frustrating
I've been trying to fix this for like 5 days now.

I can't even find anyone on the net who has had this problem.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It sounds like some kind of codec problem. I'm not sure what to suggest, but try investigate codecs. Maybe some kind of dvd codec...

edit to add: A system restore (START -> Programs -> Accessories -> System tools - System restore) back to a time when you didn't have this problem might solve it (maybe a week or two ago?)

[edit on 2007/1/8 by Hellmutt]

new topics

top topics

join