It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan Court Orders Man to Be Blinded with Acid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 03:59 AM
link   
From the article, and I would appreciate your comments on this one. With understanding to the fact that "Humans Rights" are different based on what Country punishment is to carried out in.

What are your opinions on this "ruleing"?

"A Pakistani man has been sentenced to be blinded by acid after a judge found him guilty of doing the same to his former fiancee, court officials said Friday."
"Acid drops will be thrown into his eyes in line with the Islamic laws," Mohammad Shahid, a court official told Reuters.

An eye for an eye, huh. Now personally, I find the punishment appropriate, but is it right, no. He should be locked up in metal box and forgotten.

Human rights are violated every day. They will continue to be until it is taught violence isn't a way to solve anything, even as a means of punishment. Don't get me wrong, do unto others as you would have done to you.

That guy asked for it, the female however didn't. Violence is rampant beyond reason these days. video games, movies, cartoons, almost every aspect of todays media is revolved around the worst of things. MANY people have called it "Desensitizing".

No matter what someone calls it, something has rapidly changed social standards for the worse.

abcnews.go.com...

[Edited on 12-12-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 04:07 AM
link   
And this from a country that the US openly supports.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 04:07 AM
link   
an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, havent i heard this before....man this is mad, no more no less..

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Yes, the "eye for an eye" proverb is a blind one isn't it.

To bad mainstream media supports and capitolizes on it.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 04:29 AM
link   
well the eye for an eye is animalistic, so maybe we are doing it right this way..if we wanna go back to the times when it was like that, and i dont want to :]
And i think this is like the deathpenalty, also an eye for an eye...sometimes i think we are going back to where we came from..first we tried to escape the wild wild west so to say but it looks like humans are going backwards in time, to become as wild and savaged as we were lots of years ago... I wonder like what we will end.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 04:36 AM
link   
This is just so wrong. How can this be justified? Mere tourture as a soloution to a criminal? The whole world will go blind. . . .

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 04:43 AM
link   
A big part of the world is already blind..as long as it doesnt concern themselfs, they act blinDD

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 05:09 AM
link   
What kind of sick person would burn his former fiancee's eyes with acid.

Part of me wants this man to suffer and feel the pain he caused that women. I couldn't imagine someone purposely taking my sight, and if someone did, only then could I imagine the horrible things I would want done to that person.

But for some reason, another part of me would pity him. He is already blind, even though he can see.

LAW

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I am shocked by this. We as a race have not progressed. The original crime is shocking but to do the same makes the system as bad. No progress. Give him a life in prison in Solitary and forget about him.
I only hope that the poor women isn't forgotten and is given the support she needs.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 05:13 AM
link   
They do these 'acid tricks' to woman every day..

That also is #ed up.

Now that they will punish somebody for doing this in same manner maybe people will get scared and stop doing this..

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by StationsCreation

Like i said:

This is usual thing to do in Pakistan,

And futhermore, people seldom get punished for doing this..

Lets remember pakistan has some 150 million people living in there..

Less than 1 million of the act and live even closely like us westerners..

Rest 149 million are tribal people and alike..

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 05:41 AM
link   
did people ever stop beause they are scared, maybe talking can bring some sence in their heads but fear has never been the best medicine....

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Thats a good start. Talking spreads the word, and people knowing, what is right will agree.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Their culture is very different than ours. We need to understand that before we criticize them. To us, yeah that sure as hell does seem barbaric. But they also happen to be a society with a long history. They obviously have found that strong deterrents are the best way to prevent crime. Look at some other countries particularly in the middle east. There are places where if you steal, you get your hands cut off. Is it barbaric? To me yes! But the people in that country will tell you that because of that it is very rare to find someone stealing.
Then look at our system... if you kill someone, your punishment is the last thing everyone worries about. There's a nice high profile trial, with lots of grandstanding lawyers, and of course Court TV. If you go to jail there's lots of amenities rivaling that of a typical hotel. Cable, a gym, activities, ball fields.

I disagree with the form of extreme "justice" in Pakistan because I don't think the government should sponsor the blinding of a man. It is cruel, and definitely unusual. But the deterrence factor can not be ignored. Now if only a happy medium could be found between their scary system and our soft pillowy system.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It does seem extreme, but what gave him the right to do that to his fiancee in the first place. All over the world there are differing legal and judicial systems. If that's what has been decreed by a court of law as an acceptable punishment in that country, then so be it. If I had my way, people like that would be dealt with even more harshly. How about putting him in a locked room along with the family of the woman who's life he ruined. There's justice and there's justice.
If he went to jail, would that appease his victim?
If HE is blinded, will SHE ever see again?
Everyone has their own views on things like this. Personally, I think people like that are a cancerous lump on the face our earth and should be treated as such - eradicated!
anyhoo, rant over

[Edited on 12/12/03 by funlovincriminal]

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 05:37 PM
link   
As to your original question, Advisor, I think it's downright sick. Here in the U.S. that's what we call cruel and unusual punishment. Laws in those countries over yonder - are sho 'nuff somethin' else, aren't they? I love the United States - no matter how screwed things can be.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
As to your original question, Advisor, I think it's downright sick. Here in the U.S. that's what we call cruel and unusual punishment. Laws in those countries over yonder - are sho 'nuff somethin' else, aren't they? I love the United States - no matter how screwed things can be.

For once, I disagree with you, ECK. Whereas it does sound barbaric to most of us, remember that it is a different culture and way of life. For all we know, people over there could think of a long custodial sentence as being cruel and barbaric.
I think Djarums made a very valid point earlier in this thread about different cultures.

But we've all got our own opinions on this - which is what makes ATS as good as it is. I also think the blinding is a bit extreme, but my own choice of punishment to him would be deemed barbaric by other people. Personally I'd just like to shoot the S.O.B.-
just my $0.02

rgds
FLC

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 07:26 PM
link   
So what exactly is wrong with this kind of punishment? I'd be more afraid to commit a crime like that if I was to get acid poured on my eyes than to go to jail for a few years.

[Edited on 12-12-2003 by evildoer]

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It's only barbaric to people who think the guy should be sent to a prison where he can watch #ing tv and read the newspaper all day.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FULCRUM

Originally posted by StationsCreation

Like i said:

This is usual thing to do in Pakistan,

And futhermore, people seldom get punished for doing this..

Lets remember pakistan has some 150 million people living in there..

Less than 1 million of the act and live even closely like us westerners..

Rest 149 million are tribal people and alike..

It's sad but true- mutilations and the like happen every day in certain parts of the world. Its' not neccesarily because things are tribal or harsh or rural- it's because it's the the wild west out there. Barely a police presence. That's one part of the problem. The other part is the fact that these sick, twisted crimes NEED to be punished. I don't support the acid in the eyes....maybe a little castration and some scarring on other parts of the body? Yes, he needs to suffer, to be made an example of, but you don't have to cripple him. Plus, it would keep him from pissing in the gene pool.

DE

<<   2 >>

join