It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi Prime Minister Maliki Wants to Resign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Iraqi Prime Minister Maliki has told reporters for The Wall Street Journal that he will not be seeking a second term, and if it were up to him he would leave office before then. He went on to say that he didn't want the position in the first place and only took it because he wanted to serve his nation.

www.truthout.org
Iraq's PM Longs to Leave Office
BBC News

Wednesday 03 January 2007

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki has made clear he dislikes being the country's leader and would prefer to leave the job before his term ends.

In an extensive interview with a US newspaper, Mr Maliki said he would certainly not be seeking a second term.

A compromise choice, his tenure has been plagued by factional strife within both the country and government, and rumours the US has no faith in him.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well this is interesting especially considering that there have been rumors about of an American orchestrated coup against Maliki was in the works. All told this has to be one of the most thankless (and dangerous) jobs in the world. If you actually try and rule you run the risk of angering the occupying power that props you up in the first place, and if you don't assert yourself you are accused of being the puppet that you are. Personally if I were him, I would be padding a bank account someplace safe and planning multiple exit stage left plans.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 3/1/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I think he realized that this job came with a short life expectancy, and his sense of self-preservation outweighed his sense of duty to his nation. This move by him may very well increase his chances of survival.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
what was that cartoon character whose line was..."exit stage left (or right)". I wanna say snaggletooth something but my braincells from those days are somewhat thin.
be that as it may its a good line and a good line is a terrible thing to waste.... AND it is a perfect description of what I would be doing if I were in Maliki's shoes. I cannot imagine that job having a long life expectancy. Hey that's it give it to Sadr. End of problem.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
You mean...

Heavens To Murgatroid... It's SNAGGLEPUSS!!!

But you may be right about al Sadr gaining control. He already controls much without officially holding the title.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
THATS IT....Snagglepuss....I was wracking my poor remaining brain cell trying to remember who that was. On Yogi Bear wasn't it?

Any rate...give Sadr the job, he won't last long, end up in a body bag, end of that problem.

top topics

join