It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unidentified Rock. Could it be a meteorite? (Updated info - Debris from Jurassic North Sea Crater?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I've had this rock for a few years now and just out of interest tried to find out what it is. I cannot find anything like it on the internet. It looks like a sedimentary rock which has been superheated and melted around the edges.

It matches images that i have seen of meteorites and it looks as though it contains iron as it has rust forming in some of the holes and the rock itself is orange inside.

Hopefully someone can help me figure out what it is and if it could be from space.

It was found washed up on a beach on the East coast of the UK in the North Sea and just for the record i saw several shooting stars the night before. Here are some pics although its difficult to sea the detail ie rust and holes. It measures 9cm x 7cm x 4cm and weighs just under 150g. it is broken so if it is something that made it through the atmosphere it may have been much bigger before impact.

img.photobucket.com...

img.photobucket.com...

img.photobucket.com...

img.photobucket.com...

[edit on 3-1-2007 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I’ve hunted and found meteorites before and what I have learned is most all meteorites have a large amount of Iron, enough to make them magnetic. Use a strong magnet like a rare earth magnet to see if it is magnetic, if not, it is doubtful it is a meteorite.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Hmm i havent got a strong magnet. I could put a compass next to it and see if that does anything, ill hunt for it. To be honest it feels to light to be a meteorite but there arent any volcanoes that i know of anywhere nearby so im a bit baffled as to what it is.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It's amazing what a little research can do. Ive just come across this BBC News article and the area in question is not far off where i found the rock. Im wondering if this could be the evidence

If, as Stewart and Allen believe, a seven-million-tonne, 120m-wide object struck the Earth at 20km/s, the local rocks should show evidence of melting and metamorphism.

and..

In addition, any impact would have thrown material out over a large area. These ejecta, which take very distinctive forms, may yet turn up at locations in the UK and Scandinavia.

Have i found what they may be looking for?
BBC Link

[edit on 3-1-2007 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
How heavy is it?

I'm afraid it could just be slag from an old furnace

www.turnstone.ca...
www.chobham.info...

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
usaly i dont post replys but this one time i will.
ok first the yellow coloring indacates a high sulfur content and the glass mealted effect shows this sample to be indurstural slag .
ill explane the most likely thing they were making was copper.
digging the ore out of the ground contains alot of other elements becides just the copper or iron ( the second most likely ) so to refine it they mealt it and the sedment eather rises to the top or sinks to the bottom depending on what its mostly made of.
this is then skimed off and droped now as they have no use for it they just allowm it to drop and it forms crude balls ranging in size of a pea to a football.
ps when farther refinment is nessery they use electrois to get a 99.9% pure product.
Pss have it tested for the sulfur

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The slag theory is possible, i hope it's not though! How can i test it for sulphur? If i can prove that it is not Industrial Slag i will move onto more research into the story i linked to.

I need to know more about the area and if the location is right for what you are saying.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
go down to wallmart and get a cemical test kit there cheep enough .
If one cant be found there go to your local high school and talk with a science teacher there most science departments have cemical testing kits.
The test its self only takes a few seconds .
as a matter of fact even pet stores carry testing supplys for aquariams.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I might have a look, although i don't want to make myself look like an idiot.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
only thing that would be dumb is not trying to find the answer .
Lets say it is a metor and it turns out to be one of the rare kind .
Ps I dont recall the excat type but theres a type of metor thats worth hundreds of dollors a pound .
Montary value aside Trying to learn things will never make u look like an idiot .

[edit on 3-1-2007 by xcalbiersword]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
thats a very good point.. all this stemmed from thinking about selling it on ebay so i should really find out lol. I need to find somewhere to take it and get it looked at.

top topics

join