It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Hatton stuns Tszyu

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Ricky Hatton sensationally claimed the IBF light-welterweight title by forcing champion Kostya Tszyu to quit on his stool at the end of the 11th round in Manchester.

Tszyu - rated by many the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world - had had enough of Hatton's relentless assaults and called referee Dave Parris to his corner to wave the contest off.

Parris' announcement sparked jubilation amongst the 22,000 sell-out crowd who witnessed a victory to rank alongside the greatest in British boxing history.

Source: BBC Sport

Light welterweight Ricky Hatton pulled off one of the biggest upsets in British boxing history to beat legend Kostya Tszyu at Manchester's MEN Arena. The 26-year-old employed trademark non-stop aggression to drive back the Australian champion, who failed to answer the bell for the 12th round.

Inspired Hatton blazed into action from the opening bell of the IBF title bout. And, although he was troubled by big shots, it was Tszyu who faded badly to the delight of a screaming crowd.

The great and good of Manchester were on hand to see Hatton's moment of truth.

Current champions Joe Calzaghe, Diego Corrales and Winky Wright were at ringside as was former heavyweight icon Frank Bruno, who was on the verge of tears after being given a huge ovation.

And an assortment of Manchester footballers and Hollywood stars were also glued to the furious action.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Dam i only just saw that, the Hitman has proved hes good from what i know, not massive on boxing but it proves british boxing has some potential

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
WHAT A FIGHT! Watched this on PPV, that was £14.95 very well spent. Hatton is class, it's just taken this long for everyone else to jump on the wagon.

Two of my pals went up to see this live and said the atmosphere was amazing.

new topics

join