It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Graduation rate goes down

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Only 23 men's teams in the 65-team NCAA Tournament managed to graduate at least 50 percent of its student athletes while women's teams in the postseason continue to graduate at a much higher rate, according to a University of Central Florida study released Tuesday.

Two men's teams, LSU and Minnesota, failed to graduate even one basketball player, according to numbers supplied by the 2004 NCAA Graduation Rates Report. No. 1 seeds Illinois (47 percent) and Washington (45 percent) graduated less than half their players.

LINK

This is some saddening stuff right here, i member the days in high school, where you had to maintain a certain level of education in order to even think about playing on a sports team. i guess those times have gone down the drain, and now the times of just playing and not giving a rat's tail about your grades are here.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Bucknell and Utah State both graduated 100 percent, but only four other schools topped 70 percent.

Excellant

If the NCAA's new academic reform plan was in place, the teams with less than 50 percent graduation rates would face penalties that include loss of scholarships and a ban on postseason play.

The NCAA has said penalties won't be issued until 2004-05 graduation data is included, which will happen in the 2005-06 academic year.

source

excite

So what teams would be left.

Also, does graduation rate take into account kids that leave early for the pros? Can that be held against the school?

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
A newly released study puts graduation rates higher than just the schools in last season's tournament. This is a good sign for college athletics -

sports.espn.go.com...

Almost two dozen Division I schools reported Graduation Success Rates of at least 95 percent for athletes who enrolled from 1995 to 1998. All were higher than their general student populations and significantly higher than the rates reported by the federal government, according to NCAA figures released Thursday.

The average for the 318 Division I colleges, including the Army, Navy and Air Force academies, was 76 percent. Other GSR averages included 69 percent for men, 86 percent for women, 82 percent for whites, 59 percent for blacks and 68 percent for Hispanics.

new topics

join