It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Telfair admits money offer, but says he thought it wasn't serious

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
ATLANTA -- Portland Trail Blazers rookie Sebastian Telfair said Thursday he was offered money during recruiting by someone who claimed to represent Georgia Tech, but wonders now if it was just a hoax.

Telfair issued a statement through his agent, Andy Miller, which elaborated on the allegations made in a book that a Georgia Tech supporter offered the point guard $250,000.

Yellow Jackets coach Paul Hewitt and Telfair denied the claims Wednesday. On Thursday, the player put a slightly different spin on the alleged incident.

"I was approached by a man who claimed to be associated with the Georgia Tech program and offered money. I dismissed the offer," Telfair said in the statement. "I've never had contact with coach Hewitt or anyone with the Georgia Tech program regarding this incident, nor was I ever approached by anyone or offered anything at any other time. To this day, I'm not sure if it was a joke."

Ian O'Connor's book, The Jump: Sebastian Telfair and the High Stakes Business of High School Ball, says Telfair claimed he was offered the money to attend a specific school.

Telfair committed to Louisville but wound up skipping college. He was drafted 13th overall by Portland.

In the book, Telfair never says the offer came from Georgia Tech, but O'Connor writes that a "person close to Telfair" revealed it was made during a Yellow Jackets game in Atlanta.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

source

CBS

join