It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Tennent's Scottish Cup 4th round results 05/02/05

page: 1

log in


posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 01:25 PM
Dundee United booked a place in the Tennent's Scottish Cup quarter-final after first-half goals from Jim McIntyre, Mark Wilson and Stuart Duff downed Queen of the South 3-0 at Palmerston Park.

The game was expected to be United manager Ian McCall's last in charge, following the 7-1 thrashing by Rangers in the CIS Insurance Cup semi-final at Hampden Park in midweek. But McIntyre settled United nerves in the 13th minute before Wilson and Duff sealed the fourth round win.

Hibs cruised through to the last eight with an easy 4-0 win over Brechin at Easter Road. Strikes by frontmen Sam Morrow and Garry O'Connor gave the Leith side a 2-0 half-time lead over the Bell's Second Division side who were clearly out of their depth. After the interval, O'Connor bagged his second with a low drive, and defender Gary Caldwell's looping header sealed a comfortable victory for the Edinburgh men who continue to impress in both league and cup.

A brace from Darren Mackie fired Aberdeen to a 2-1 success over Inverness. In-form Mackie hit his ninth goal of the season in the 15th minute only for Inverness player-boss Craig Brewster to equalise. Mackie then moved into double figures with an excellent finish in the 34th minute to wrap up a place in the next round.

Livingston eventually found some respite from their league travails as Colin McMenamin's last-gasp strike broke Second Division Alloa's hearts. Richard Gough's first taste of management is proving far from straightforward and it was difficult to tell which was the top-flight side before substitute McMenamin's 88th-minute tap-in in this fourth-round tie at Recreation Park which gave Livi a 1-0 victory. Tom Hendrie, in his second spell as Wasps boss, has masterminded an incredible run of form and this was Alloa's first defeat since November 6.

Steven Naismith grabbed his first goal for Kilmarnock to keep their Scottish Cup dream alive when he netted in the last minute to claim a 2-2 draw and set up a replay against Hearts on February 16. Hearts had taken the lead through Dennis Wyness but Colin Nish drew level before Lee Miller fired the Jambos ahead again on the stroke of half-time. Just when Hearts thought they would be able to hold on for a place in the quarter-finals, they were hit by the late sucker-punch from Naismith.

Former Ayr United striker Stewart Kean returned to haunt his old side as St Mirren marched into the quarter-finals with a 2-0 win at Somerset Park. Goals from Kean, who moved to Love Street from the Honest Men in December, and Hugh Murray sent the Saints into the last eight. Kick-off was delayed by 30 minutes to allow the large travelling support from Paisley into the ground and they had plenty to celebrate. Kean struck in first-half stoppage time with a shot from 16 yards before Ayr's Darren Henderson saw red for two bookings in the space of 60 seconds. Murray dashed any Ayr hopes of a replay when he wrapped up the victory by heading home Alan Russell's cross with eight minutes remaining.

Bryn Halliwell was the Clyde hero with a string of super saves in a goalless draw with fellow First Division side Ross County at Victoria Park. Don Cowie and John Rankin tested Halliwell early on, but Clyde almost made the breakthrough when Eddie Malone just failed to connect with an Alex Burns cross. At the other end, Jim Lauchlan clipped the top of the crossbar for County from just five yards out. Halliwell then pulled off a magnificent one-handed save from David Winters to earn his side a replay at Broadwood.



log in