It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Palmer will likely end 52-year PGA Tour streak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Arnold Palmer will skip the Bay Hill Invitational for the first time since he founded the tournament in 1979, most likely ending his 52-year streak of playing on the PGA Tour.

"I'll miss playing. There's no doubt in my mind about that," Palmer said Monday. "But we all move on. I'll fulfill my duties as host of the tournament, whatever is needed, and enjoy watching the golf. That will be different, yes, but it's fine. I'm looking forward to the tournament just the same as any other year."

Palmer, 75, has played at least one PGA Tour event every year since 1953. He played in his 50th consecutive and final Masters last year and stopped playing the Bob Hope Classic three years ago.

Palmer got married last week in Hawaii, although he had decided before that to skip Bay Hill.

He started the tournament at the Bay Hill Club & Lodge, which Palmer owns, in 1979. He never won the tournament, although he was 49 when it began. Palmer's best finish was a tie for 24th in 1991 at age 61.

The closest he came to missing Bay Hill was in 1998, when he returned from prostate cancer.

Palmer played two weeks ago in the MasterCard Championship in Hawaii, the season-opening event on the Champions Tour. He also said he would play in the Senior PGA Championship in late May at Laurel Valley near his home in Pennsylvania.

"I'll pick and choose," he said. "You'll never hear me say I won't play anymore. But I'll be very selective."

Chad Campbell is the defending champion at Bay Hill. He played the first two rounds last year with Palmer, and something must have rubbed off on him. Campbell rallied from a four-shot deficit in the final round by closing with a 66 for a six-shot victory.

source

ESPN

Do we have a profile on Arnie?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Wow, 52 consecutive years on the tour. That's just amazing.

:loudhorn: ~ Way to go Arnie!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Arnold Palmer is, and will always be, a legend. He is the epitome of class and integrity and will be remembered as one of the best golfers of all-time. He's a big influence on where the game of golf is today. He helped open the doors for the Tigers and Mickelsons. He had some classic deuls with Nicklaus that I'll never forget. One of the sweetest swings of all time.

new topics

join