It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Wayne Black and Kevin Ullyett take Australian mens double titles

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Wayne Black and Kevin Ullyett claimed the Australian Open men's doubles title on Saturday with a straight-sets win over the Bryan brothers.

The fifth-seeded pair had too much for the twin team of Mike and Bob, winning 6-4 6-4 on the Rod Laver Arena. One break of serve in each set was enough for the Zimbabweans who wrapped up victory in just an hour and 16 minutes.

It was the duo's second Grand Slam doubles victory, the first having come at the 2001 US Open. It was also the second year in a row that the Bryans had lost in the Melbourne final. Ullyett was understandably emotional after clinching victory, paying tribute to his father Robert who died last year, four years to the day that Black's father passed away.

"My dad passed away in October," Ullyett said. "It's just a pity that he wasn't here to see us win another one.

"He was a big influence on my career. He used to get me out of bed from the age of five. He always gave me a big push. I know Wayne's dad was the same.

"Without them we would definitely not have pursued tennis for sure."

Sportinglife

new topics

join