It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Buchanon wants away from the Raiders

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Cornerback Phillip Buchanon is so frustrated with the way the Oakland Raiders are operating that he wants to be traded. Buchanon, the Raiders' first-round draft pick in 2002 out of Miami, said he spoke with team personnel chief Michael Lombardi to express his desire to go elsewhere.

"The way I am feeling about the Raiders, I am not happy," Buchanon said Wednesday. "I am just not happy with the organization right now. I am looking forward to a possible trade with somebody else."

Both Lombardi and Buchanon's agent, Terry Williams, declined to comment after learning of Buchanon's statement, made four days before Oakland (5-10) ends another disappointing season at home Sunday against Jacksonville.

Coach Norv Turner said after practice Wednesday that he hadn't heard from Buchanon, who missed Saturday's 31-30 loss at Kansas City with a bruised tailbone. "This is an emotional time," Turner said. "I think things like that are sometimes said, and you just deal with it. With every situation, you evaluate it and do what's best for our football team. He's a really good young player."

If Buchanon leaves, there's a possibility the Raiders will lose both starting cornerbacks this offseason.

Four-time Pro Bowler Charles Woodson, making nearly $9 million this season as Oakland's franchise player, could earn as much as $10.5 million next season if the Raiders kept the franchise tag on him - an expensive move that seems unlikely, especially after his arrest last week for public intoxication.

Woodson has said for months he wants to be the highest paid cornerback in the league, a distinction currently held by Champ Bailey of Denver. Bailey signed a seven-year, $63 million contract with the Broncos last offseason that includes an $18 million signing bonus and $5 million in other bonuses.

Buchanon has 59 tackles - 50 solo - three interceptions, nine pass deflections and a fumble recovery this season, but has been consistently poor returning punts. Turner has stuck by him despite the struggles.

Buchanon refers to himself as "Showtime," and arrived at training camp in 2003 as a second-year pro in a limousine and wearing a fancy pajama suit.

"I mean there is a lot of stuff that goes on here and it ain't right," he said. "I am not feeling too good here. I am not happy with the organization. Things ain't good right now. I know that."

Associated Press

[Edited on 29/12/04 by TRD]

join