It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: COLLEGE: USC fires Bibby, shows interest in Majerus as hoops coach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
LOS ANGELES -- Henry Bibby was fired as Southern California's basketball coach Monday, just four games into his ninth season.

The Trojans, beset by some player dissension, are 2-2.

Athletic director Mike Garrett said he realized the timing was unusual, but cited the Trojans' losing record in recent seasons.

"We haven't won in two years. I thought, 'Let's make the move to fire him.' It was just a gut feeling. I thought, 'Let's make the decision now,"' Garrett said.

Assistant Jim Saia was appointed interim coach for the rest of the season.

"It's a blur. It's all been kind of a shock to me," Saia said. "My main job is the players, to keep calm in the storm."
Henry Bibby is fired four games into the season. (Getty Images)
Henry Bibby is fired four games into the season.(Getty Images)
Garrett, asked about possible candidates for the job, said, "Rick Majerus is a name we're looking at."

Majerus is the longtime Utah coach who resigned midway through last season because of health concerns.

Bibby had an overall record of 131-111. His 1997, 2001 and 2002 teams made it to the NCAA tournament, including a final eight appearance in 2001.

Bibby is a former NBA player and the father of Sacramento Kings guard Mike Bibby.

The firing caught the players by surprise.

"It's a big shock. But it's the way things work," Derrick Craven said. "He demanded perfection, and perfection is hard to come by. He's hard. But we knew that coming in."

Gregg Guenther, who also played tight end for the Trojans before deciding to concentrate on basketball, said of Bibby's approach: "I just think he got a little too intense. But what coach doesn't?"

Saia saw Bibby in a different light.

"The perception of coach Bibby is wrong. He's really a wonderful human being. He's always mentoring," Saia said.

Bibby's future was in question after last season, when the Trojans won just 13 games, though he said before the season that he felt no added pressure.

"For what reason should I feel a sense of urgency?" he asked.

USC had four starters back from last season, along with several top reserves. The Trojans won their opener against UC Irvine before losing to then-No. 11 North Carolina and La Salle. They beat BYU 87-82 Saturday night.

Highly regarded Rodrick Stewart, who came to USC last season from Seattle with his identical twin, Lodrick, quit the team in November. His brother threatened to quit, but changed his mind.

Saia, 40, was an assistant at UCLA for the past seven seasons. He was previously an assistant at California, Indiana State and Fresno State.

USC hosts Fresno State on Wednesday.

source

CBS

new topics

join