It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Brown says he no longer has energy, spirit to coach Grizzlies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Hubie Brown said he stepped down as the coach of the Memphis Grizzlies for two reasons: He lost his spirit, and because of medical issues he wants kept private.

"I need on a daily basis an energy and a stamina, and then with me it's a spirit," Brown said Friday at a news conference. "But the key is spirit. See, the spirit is what gives you the passion on a daily basis."

"One day you wake up, you don't have that, and that's when you've got to understand that it's a time you've got to walk."

The 71-year-old Brown announced his retirement Thursday night, just seven months after he was selected NBA coach of the year for the second time in his long career.

Brown led Memphis to a franchise-best 50-32 record last season and its first playoff appearance. He was given medical clearance to return for his third season with the Grizzlies and had said he had no hesitation coming back.

But he announced his retirement a day after the Grizzlies fell to 5-7 with a 93-84 loss to the Seattle SuperSonics. Brown is 424-495 in the NBA and 528-559 including ABA games.

"We're going to miss this man tremendously, and more importantly, I think his footprints here ... will be hard to fill," Grizzlies president Jerry West said.

Lionel Hollins was named the team's interim coach and was with the team in Minneapolis for its game Friday night against the Timberwolves.

Brown said his medical problem developed about three weeks ago.

"People are thinking catastrophic levels. ... We're not talking about that," Brown said, declining to be more specific. "I've had things come up that your body gives you a warning sign."

Brown, who led the Kentucky Colonels to the ABA championship in 1975, returned to coaching in 2002 after a 16-year break during which he became a TV analyst. He also coached the Atlanta Hawks from 1976-81 and the New York Knicks from 1982-86.

At every stop, Brown's teams won more games in his first full season than in the previous year.

Brown leaves as the winningest coach in Memphis history with an 83-85 record.

His departure news conference lasted 50 minutes as Brown praised the fans, West, and his players. He told his team of his decision before they left for Minnesota.

"I told them you have regrets when you do this. My biggest regret is that I didn't meet them when I was in my 40s and 50s because I had more to give than I do now because I was more alert, more astute, more observant and I saw more," Brown said, "and I apologized to them because I met them too late in my life."

source

CBS

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Thats too bad for Hubie, it seemed he became very popular in Memphis. He led the Grizz to the best record in the franchise's short history and if I'm not mistaken was named "coach of the year" last year.

Hopefully for Hubie's sake it was more the spirit reason than the health issues.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Heck, at 71 to be coaching, that's just insane...

Yeah, it sounds like he just doesn't feel up to it, and I commend him for admitting that, rather than going through the motions for the rest of the season.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Memphis Grizzlies coach Hubie Brown, last season's National Basketball Association coach of the year, has retired, ending a 33-year coaching career.

Brown receives his hardware from NBA commish David Stern.

top topics

join