It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: GM Spielman says he'll be back with Dolphins next season

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
DAVIE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman said Wednesday he's been assured by owner Wayne Huizenga he would return in that role next season.

Spielman, widely criticized for his personnel decisions, said he was preparing to lead the search to replace Dave Wannstedt, who resigned Tuesday as head coach of the Dolphins (1-8).

Spielman said he and Huizenga met and the owner informed Spielman of his decision. The Dolphins also must hire a new president because Eddie Jones plans to retire in March.

"I know that I will be the general manager here," Spielman said.

Spielman was promoted from a lesser role in player personnel and given final authority over the makeup of the roster when Huizenga revised the team's organizational structure in January.

This offseason, Spielman traded a second-round pick to Philadelphia for quarterback A.J. Feeley, who was benched after two poor starts and has thrown two touchdowns and six interceptions this season.

Spielman also traded a fourth-round pick to move up one spot in the first round to grab University of Miami offensive lineman Vernon Carey, who has seen limited playing time.

He addressed some of the difficulties through this season, from the sudden retirement of running back Ricky Williams to injuries to receiver David Boston and several others to Wannstedt's decision to step aside.

"To experience all that stuff in the short time frame that I've been here as general manager, it's been experiences that you might not experience in a 20-year time frame," Spielman said.

Spielman said the public outcry to replace him and Wannstedt was understandable, considering the team's struggles.

"When I was a fan where I grew up and the team wasn't doing good, then ... I'd be mad, too." Spielman said.

"But that's part of the business. You have your high cycles and your low cycles, and right now we just happen to be in a low cycle."

Spielman has a three-year contract that runs into 2006.

source

CBS

join