It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Coca-Cola League One results 06/11/04

page: 1

log in


posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:05 AM
Luton maintained their six-point lead at the top of Coca-Cola League One with an emphatic 5-1 hammering of crisis-hit Wrexham on Saturday.

After regaining their form last week following a three-match losing streak, Mike Newell's men showed their class again with first-half goals from Steve Robinson, Sol Davis, Stephen O'Leary and Steve Howard. Ahmet Brkovic made it five after the hour mark and Hector Sam's consolation was clearly little more than just that.

A Paul Hall brace ensured Tranmere keep themselves in contention at the top of the table, with a 2-1 win at home to Swindon. Hall's opener 10 minutes before the break was not enough because David Duke found a way through to drag Swindon level after 69 minutes. But undeterred Hall struck again five minutes later and this time there was no way back for the Robins.

Hull kept themselves level with Tranmere with a 3-1 home win against shoddy Walsall. Former England midfielder Nick Barmby got his name on the scoresheet just seconds into the game and Stuart Elliott and Junior Lewis ensured the Tigers ended the half 3-0 up. Michael Standing's consolation four minutes into the second half meant little to the Black Country side.

Second-from-bottom Torquay did themselves a massive favour by beating Oldham 2-0 at Plainmoor. Leon Constantine broke the deadlock just nine minutes in, and as Oldham tried in vain to find a response, Martin Gritton put the game beyond them after 71 minutes.

Dean Windass was forced to rescue Bradford twice at Valley Parade as they came from behind to draw 2-2 with Colchester. Gavin Johnson opened the scoring after eight minutes but Windass levelled matters after 23. Johnson grabbed his second of the game six minutes before half-time but Windass was on hand to score his 10th of the season with nine minutes remaining.

Chesterfield moved two places up the table to seventh with a last-gasp victory at home to resurgent Blackpool. The game had been heading for a stalemate until substitute Caleb Folan pounced in injury-time to break the Seasiders' hearts.

A second-half Joel Porter brace gave Hartlepool a 2-1 win at home to Doncaster after they were forced to come from behind. Neil Roberts had put Rovers ahead on the half-hour mark and Hartlepool were forced to be patient as they set off in search of a reply. Porter provided it after 78 minutes and managed a dramatic winner a minute from the end.

In-form Bournemouth recorded a priceless away victory in East Anglia, beating struggling Peterborough 1-0. Striker James Hayter found a way through just four minutes in and Sean O'Driscoll's defence performed impressively to ensure their hosts' attempts to equalise were futile.

Goals from Adam Proudlock, Jon-Paul McGovern and Lewis McMahon gave Sheffield Wednesday a 3-0 victory away to rock-bottom Stockport.

MK Dons slipped further into trouble with a 4-1 defeat by Bristol City. Leroy Lita scored his 10th and 11th goal of the season before Stephen Brooker and Luke Wilkshire doubled the advantage.

Port Vale came from behind to beat Barnsley at Oakwell, when Billy Paynter and a Robbie Williams own goal cancelled out Barry Conlon's first-half penalty.


new topics

log in