It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Lynch gets no satisfaction with complaint over hit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
DENVER -- Before Denver Broncos safety John Lynch limped off the field, he started yelling toward the Atlanta huddle, upset that he got hurt on a block made 30 yards away from the play.

Falcons coach Jim Mora's response: "What goes around comes around."

It was a subtle dig at the Broncos, who for the second straight week find themselves embroiled in a debate over the fine line between what's legal and what's moral in the NFL.

"I don't think etiquette and football really go together -- but there's a code of conduct," Lynch said. "Thirty yards away from the ball, I don't think that's necessary."

At issue was receiver Brian Finneran's block on Lynch in last week's game. Finneran broke the bone above Lynch's tailbone when he hit the safety on the side. Lynch conceded the hit was legal, but maybe not necessary.

The Finneran-Lynch imbroglio was a continuation of last week's debate, when Broncos offensive lineman George Foster was accused of a cheap shot on Bengals defender Tony Williams. Foster cut blocked Williams, broke his ankle and ended his season. The block, while legal, also was away from the play and was made while Williams was looking the other way.

A number of coaches around the league weighed in, chiding the Broncos and saying the play was unnecessary. Among those not chiming in were the Falcons, who use the same blocking technique under the tutelage of former Broncos line coach Alex Gibbs. No cut-blocking injuries occurred in last week's game.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan vigorously defended his players last week, saying everyone in the league uses cut blocks. This week -- after his player was victimized by a different kind of legal-but-unnecessary play -- the coach wasn't in position to complain about the Lynch injury.

"It was one of those blind-side shots that catches you off guard," Shanahan said. "It was a legal shot."

The Broncos originally said Lynch would be out for two to four weeks, although he was listed as doubtful for Sunday's game because of his insistence he can play.

"I've always tried, when I'm injured, to be hopeful, optimistic," Lynch said.

If Lynch can't play, Nick Ferguson will start in his spot.

new topics

join