It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Roddick ousted from Paris Masters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
PARIS -- Top-seeded Andy Roddick and defending champion Tim Henman were upset in the third round of the Paris Masters on Thursday.

Roddick lost 7-6 (7-2), 6-2 to qualifier Max Mirnyi, while Henman was beaten 7-5, 6-1 by unseeded Mikhail Youzhny.

Roddick lost his composure in a second set riddled with errors and marked by a running feud with umpire Lars Graff. With Mirnyi leading 3-1, Roddick questioned a call and then asked Graff: "Do you play golf?"

The chair umpire said, "No."

Roddick replied: "Good, because if you did, you should use your mulligan on that call."

At the changeover, Roddick continued arguing. He then pointed to a spot at the back of the court with his racket and urged Graff to look.

Roddick said after that he was "more mad at myself" than at the official. He did praise Mirnyi's performance.
Andy Roddick sees his Paris chances slip away thanks to a sloppy second set. (AP)
Andy Roddick sees his Paris chances slip away thanks to a sloppy second set. (AP)
"Max played well. He always serves good and didn't miss many volleys," Roddick said. "Sometimes you don't feel you're on the court against him. It can go by so quickly, it's hard to find a rhythm."

Henman, meanwhile, lost his final five service games.

"I wasn't sharp and my movement was sluggish," the third-seeded Henman said. "I couldn't dictate the rallies as I would have liked."

Youzhny, who recently won his second career title at St. Petersburg, faces a quarterfinal against Radek Stepanek, a 6-2, 6-3 winner over No. 17 Vince Spadea.

In other action, second-seeded Lleyton Hewitt reached the quarterfinals when No. 14 Nicolas Massu quit with a thigh injury while trailing 4-3 in the first set, No. 13 Guillermo Canas beat Tommy Haas 7-6 (7-4), 6-2, and Feliciano Lopez defeated No. 11 Andrei Pavel 5-7, 6-4, 6-4. Pavel was last year's runner-up.

Hewitt's next opponent is No. 6 Marat Safin, who beat Jurgen Melzer 6-2, 7-5.

I thought this said he was ousted from the Paris Hilton...

new topics

join