It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: COLLEGE: Brey gets second two-year extension from Notre Dame

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame basketball coach Mike Brey received a two-year contract extension after leading the Irish to three NCAA Tournaments in four seasons.

It is the second two-year extension for Brey, who signed a seven-year contract in July 2000. The contract announced Monday runs through the 2010-11 season.

"Simply speaking, Mike Brey has done a brilliant job leading Notre Dame basketball back to national prominence," athletic director Kevin White said. "Mike represents the perfect Notre Dame fit."

Brey, 45, has an 84-44 record at Notre Dame and led the Irish to 20 wins and NCAA Tournament bids in his first three seasons and an NIT berth last season.

Notre Dame and Syracuse are the only Big East teams to post winning conference records each of the past four years.

Brey said he and White began talking about the contract extension in the spring and reached an agreement last week. Brey said he is comfortable at Notre Dame, calling it home.

"This is a place that you should wind down your coaching career at," he said. "Hopefully I'm good enough where they'll let me do that. It's up to me now."

Brey was an assistant coach at Duke for eight years and the head coach for five years at Delaware. He was hired at Notre Dame in 2000 after Matt Doherty left abruptly to take the North Carolina job. Brey had been passed over in favor of Doherty a year earlier.

new topics

join