It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Kidd adds practice to daily docket while rehabbing knee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Jason Kidd is going to attend both day and night practices during New Jersey Nets training camp rather than pay fines he feels are misguided.

The guard was fined by the Nets earlier this week for missing practices at night.

While he didn't question the Nets' right to fine him, Kidd debated the wisdom of being there because he was undergoing rehabilitation on his surgically repaired left knee and was unable to practice.

"My rehab will last until 11 o'clock," said Kidd, who is undergoing rehabilitation seven days a week. "A lot of people don't understand the stuff I'm doing to get back and play. So I'll be here tonight, and then I'll be here every day for practice until I have to go to rehab."

Under the collective bargaining agreement, players can be penalized $2,500 for each of the first two practices they miss and $5,000 for each subsequent absence.

"I don't mind donating, but only for a good cause," Kidd said Saturday. "And that's not a good cause. It's easier just to come to practice, hang out, help the guys out and go from there."

Kidd said he would not appeal the fines.

"It just makes my day longer, in the sense of going to rehab and coming back from rehab and going back to rehab again after the night practice," Kidd said.

Kidd and the Nets have been at odds in recent months with trades of All-Star forward Kenyon Martin to Denver and shooting guard Kerry Kittles to the Los Angeles Clippers in cost-saving moves.

New Jersey recently waived backup shooting guard Lucious Harris, one of the most well-liked players on the team.

When the Nets reported to training camp, Kidd said that he had not asked to be traded, but he dreamed of it.

"I don't have too many dreams right now because I'm so tired," Kidd said. "Right now I'm trying to get healthy. I have nothing to do with being traded. My first goal is to try to get back out here and play, and play at a high level."

join