It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Carling Cup results 21/09/04

page: 1

log in


posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 05:30 PM
League One side Colchester provided the shock of the night in the Carling Cup second round, dumping top-flight big guns West Brom out of the competition after extra time. Prolific striker Craig Fagan, always likely to be United's main threat, caught the West Brom defence flat-footed to fire his side ahead at Layer Road. Geoff Horsfield brought the Black Country side level five minutes into the second half but Ben May struck two minutes from the end of extra time to send Gary Megson's side out.

The other upset of the night saw League One side Doncaster stun Championship outfit Ipswich, running out worthy 2-0 winners at the Earth Stadium. Ricky Ravenhill struck in the sixth minute to put Joe Royle's side a goal down and Jermaine McSporran doubled the lead a minute after the break. The Tractor Boys could find no reply and went out.

Plucky Hartlepool took the lead against Premiership side Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park but lost 2-1 after extra time. Hartlepool took the lead through Eifion Williams in the 70th minute but Dougie Freedman found an equaliser 10 minutes later to take the game into extra time, and Tom Soares buried his shot after 110 minutes to break Pools' hearts.

Wolves missed two penalties in normal time as they drew 1-1 at Burnley - and missed two more in a penalty shoot-out as the Clarets ran out 4-2 winners on spot-kicks. South Korean striker Ki Hyeon Seol gave Wolves a narrow lead but Clarets skipper Robbie Blake struck five minutes into the second half to equalise. Wolves could - and should - have won the game but missed two penalties in just four minutes in the second half. First, Carl Cort was denied from the spot by Burnley keeper Brian Jensen, only for Keith Andrews to see his penalty, awarded for a separate incident, also saved by reserve stopper Jensen. Cort missed his second penalty of the night in the shoot-out and after Ian Moore, Richard Chaplow, Blake and Frank Sinclair scored their kicks, Seyi George Olofinjana's miss wrapped it up for Burnley when Jensen saved.

Crewe emerged victorious after a thrilling all-Championship clash with Sunderland which had to be decided by penalties. Steve Jones gave Crewe a 1-0 lead but young striker Chris Brown levelled for the visitors. But in-form striker Dean Ashton gave the Railwaymen the lead once again in the second half, only for Brown to level again seven minutes from time. Prolific Stephen Elliott scoring 13 minutes into the first half of extra time but this time Crewe came back, Stephen Foster scoring a goal a minute before the end to take the game to penalties. Sunderland's Neill Collins saw his penalty saved by Ben Williams and Mark Rivers converted his kick to seal it for the home side.

Diomansy Kamara, making his first start for Portsmouth, finally broke the deadlock against Tranmere at Prenton Park, scoring in the 65th minute as Pompey ran out 1-0 winners.

Bolton had to wait until 10 minutes before time at Huish Park before they finally scored against Yeovil, Julio Cesar finding a breakthrough against Gary Johnson's men and Henrik Pedersen making it two minutes later.

At the City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester City went on a scoring spree, winning 7-1 against League One Barnsley. City broke the deadlock thanks to Joey Barton, who scored after 21 minutes. Jon Macken, keen to get his City career back on track, added a second after 28 minutes and five minutes later Willo Flood made it 3-0. Shaun Wright-Phillips continued the scoring after 36 minutes and Macken grabbed his second soon after. It was Barnsley who scored first in the second half, Barry Conlon taking advantage of a Barton mistake but City's dominance continued as Antoine Sibierski struck two more.

Birmingham finally found a way through the Lincoln defence as Jesper Gronkjaer struck after 64 minutes, only for Clinton Morrison to make it 2-0 after coming on as a substitute for Emile Heskey. And it was wrapped up when Robbie Savage scored from the spot following a foul on Dwight Yorke. Lincoln scored a consolation, again from the spot, as Simon Yeo slotted home coolly.

A disappointing Charlton beat hosts Grimsby 2-0 despite a plucky performance by the Mariners. Danny Murphy's brilliant early free-kick gave them a 1-0 half-time lead and Grimsby dominated in the second half but had no cutting edge and were made to pay when Francis Jeffers, ineffective until that point, scored 11 minutes before the end to wrap up the win.

West Ham were made to work hard as they beat Notts County 3-2, thanks to goals from Bobby Zamora (two) and Sergei Rebrov. County twice pulled level thanks to Kelvin Wilson and Hammers fan Ian Richardson.

Norwich beat Bristol Rovers 1-0 at Carrow Road thanks to Yousseff Safri's goal just before half-time.

Sheffield United came from behind to beat Wrexham 3-2 at the Racecourse with Andy Gray scoring a brace, including the winner, after Craig Morgan and Chris Llewellyn had scored for the underdogs.

Cardiff ran out 4-1 winners away to Milton Keynes Dons. Peter Thorne grabbed two and Lee Bullock and Byron Anthony, on his debut, also scored for Cardiff.

Leeds beat Swindon 1-0 after Gary Kelly's 40-yard pinpoint pass fell to Michael Ricketts who raced towards the goal and kept his cool to fire home.

Watford ran out comfortable 3-0 winners at Reading and in the only first round match, Preston strolled to a 4-0 win against hosts Mansfield.



log in