It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: SOCCER: Barclays Premiership Results 11/09/04

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Fulham 0 Arsenal 3

Arsenal returned to the top of the Barclays Premiership today after a controversial 3-0 win at Fulham. Chris Coleman was livid with referee Mark Halsey after he turned down a penalty claim from Andy Cole and then disallowed a Collins John goal just before the break.

The Gunners' record unbeaten league run was under threat until a flurry of goals in the second half. Thierry Henry set up Fredrik Ljungberg for the opener after 62 minutes and the Sweden international pressurised on Zat Knight to put through his own goal three minutes later. Jose Reyes added a third 19 minutes from time to wrap up the win and maintain his record of scoring in every league match this season.

Chelsea 0 Aston Villa 0

Chelsea had been in the top spot for a couple of hours a goalless draw at Aston Villa - their first dropped points of the season. Adrian Mutu, Eidur Gudjohnsen and John Terry all came close to snatching the points for the visitors after Didier Drogba was denied what appeared to be a clear-cut penalty after being challenged by Ulises de la Cruz. Villa's Darius Vassell had the best chance to win the game but shot wide with the goal at his mercy 15 minutes from the full-time whistle.

Bolton 2 Manchester Utd 2

A dramatic finale at the Reebok saw Bolton and Manchester United draw 2-2. Gabriel Heinze made a goalscoring debut for United but Kevin Nolan equalised early in the second half when he tucked in a rebound from a Jay-Jay Okocha shot. Les Ferdinand pounced on a Tim Howard blunder in the final moments but United equalised through Alan Smith.

Liverpool 3 West Brom 0

Liverpool cruised to a 3-0 win against West Brom at Anfield. First-half goals from Steven Gerrard and Steve Finnan gave Rafael Benitez' side a comfortable lead. Gary Megson responded by bringing on new signing Rob Earnshaw in the second half but Luis Garcia wrapped up the points on the hour when he scored at the second attempt after a Russell Hoult save.

Manchester City 0 Everton 1

Tim Cahill opened the scoring for Everton against Manchester City but was sent off while celebrating his first goal for the club. The Australia international had been booked in the first half and received his marching orders from Steve Bennett for over-celebrating the 60th-minute winner. Under-fire keeper David James responded to his critics by keeping City in the game with a string of fine saves but he could not prevent his side's 1-0 defeat.

Newcastle 3 Blackburn 0

Newcastle won their first game since the departure of Sir Bobby Robson with a comfortable 3-0 win against Blackburn. Garry Flitcroft deflected a Laurent Robert corner into his own net to give the home side the lead after nine minutes. Alan Shearer scored against his old side seven minutes later with a close-range header to double the lead. Andy O'Brien sealed the points with a deflected shot seven minutes from time.

Boro 2 Birmingham 1

Mark Viduka scored two goals as Middlesbrough beat Birmingham 2-1 at the Riverside. Blues boss Steve Bruce started with Mikael Forssell, Emile Heskey and Dwight Yorke in attack but it was the Middlesbrough strikers who combined to inspire the win. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink raced through on goal and set up Viduka to finish easily past Maik Taylor. Emile Heskey equalised just before the break but the former Leeds striker grabbed a second with a deft header from Szilard Nemeth's flick.

SportingLife

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
hope its cool to reply to this bit TRD

some interesting scores there, the big one i think is man utd droping more points. heinze scored on his debut so thats encouraging i guess.

and arsenal sound like they had the luck against fulham. it says collins john gettting a goal disaloled (arghhh. how do i spell that lol) and a turned down penalty.

souness of to a winning start against his former team. how ironic.

and chelsea finally droped some points against a very good aston villa team.

a good score for liverpool too with there new signing garcia scoring

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
are Man C gonna win a decent game

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
thats a bad result for city, they will have to improve or its bye bye keegan i think. lol look what happened to the goal scored. it must have been one of those days for him

TRD

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Well Chelsea are still unbeaten despite the draw today.

You have got to see the Man United equalizer in the last 10 seconds of the game, it was a real freaky goal. Thing is Man U dominated the second half so i guess it was a fair result..

Souness wasn't in charge, he takes over after todays game. Well thats what they say but i bet he picked the team lol!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
thanks TRD, i'l try check out the premiership 2nite. was it another scramble like the other week to rescue a draw. was it saha or smith it did it then too.

i think chelsea's score is good, aston villa are a on form team.

yer. i think souness would have a hand in who was picked.

TRD

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
You couldn't actually see how it happened but it ended up in the back of the net lol

I want to see it again as i only caught a glimpse of it...

Villa havn't got that bad a side, O'leary has been doing well since he has been their...

What is interesting is Man U are down in 10th place after todays results and their goal difference is 0.. I can't remember the last time i see them without a plus goal difference..

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
wow! man utd are 10th
they better get there act together real quickly. as such a early stage they are already trailing arsenal by a few points

wonder if they players are feeling the pressure

TRD

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Yeah lol 10th.....I remember a few years back after the first ten games they were in a bad position but they came back real strong and won the league. I don't know if they could do that again as the teams are that much better now than what they was. They would have to beat Arsenal twice to stand a chance.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Yeah lol 10th.....I remember a few years back after the first ten games they were in a bad position but they came back real strong and won the league. I don't know if they could do that again as the teams are that much better now than what they was. They would have to beat Arsenal twice to stand a chance.

dream on. A loss to Middlesborough seems plausible. As for defeating Arsenal, Henry will tear that ManU defense apart.

TRD

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer

Originally posted by TRD

dream on. A loss to Middlesborough seems plausible. As for defeating Arsenal, Henry will tear that ManU defense apart.

How is that dream on???????????????

They did it the other season and beat Arsenal for the title...lol!!!!

They could do it again, anything is possible...

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   
not sure when man utd play arsenal but they have liverpool soon am sure. i think that match is very big. liverpool scored a few goals yesterday and will want to take a point am sure. man utd will need to get points

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   
1 result not mentioned was Portsmouth 3 Palace 1

A goal by Fulller his first in the Prem and first for [Pompey then a good head for Palace by Danny Granville then in the second half a dazzler by Berger and an own goal and a bizzare 1 by Popovic sealed then for Pompey.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

join