It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: SOCCER: Roma's Mexes suspended by FIFA

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Rome, Italy (Sports Network) - Former Auxerre and current Roma defender Philippe Mexes was penalized with a six-week ban for a breach of contract with his former club.

The suspension will begin on September 12, the opening day of the Italian Serie A season.

Auxerre filed a complaint with FIFA, the world soccer governing body, after Mexes left the French club earlier this summer. Auxerre believed that Mexes was under contract with the club and not free to leave.

The 22-year-old Mexes was set to make his Serie A debut on September 12 against Fiorentina. The match is the season opener for the defending league champions. Roma was also issued an undisclosed fine for its part in signing Mexes.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
*ouch* :angry-smiley-034: Not a good way to start the season.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
i think roma will not be as strong this season, lost emerson, walter samuel and i think there was som1 else.

mexes is a good player, similar to helgueara of real madrid i think, still more bad news for roma

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
There was a time when Liverpool were linked with him, GH stalled too much though and eventually bigger clubs took more notice. From the looks of it though it seems that was a good thing. He's meant to be a cracking defender mind.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
heres an update on this, roma want to fight it

Roma have announced they will appeal against Fifa's decision to ban summer signing Philippe Mexes for six weeks.

The France international was handed the ban by world football's governing body after after deciding that Auxerre's complaints about the player's move to the Stadio Olimpico club had some foundation.

link

top topics

join