It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: WR Rison takes act to Canada, CFL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
MISSISSAUGA, Ontario -- Former Pro Bowl receiver Andre Rison signed with the CFL's Toronto Argonauts on Saturday, less than two weeks after a U.S. judge ordered his arrest for failing to pay child support.

Rison, 37, spent 12 seasons in the NFL, his last in 2000. He agreed to join the Argonauts' practice roster and will practice with the team for the first time Sunday. He worked out for the team before being offered a contract.

"I think this is the best move I could have made for myself and my family," he said in a statement released by the team. "I am here to play football."

This month, a Georgia judge ordered his arrest for not paying $107,350 in child support. The judge ruled Rison was in contempt of court and should be jailed for 20 days. She asked that other jurisdictions outside the state assist in the arrest. Rison hasn't paid his $3,500-a-month child-support payment for his 16- and 18-year-old children since August 2002, the order said.

Argos coach Michael Clemons was excited by the signing but said Rison still has a lot of work to do.

"We could see he still has outstanding ability," Clemons said. "I have discussed with him the importance of being a leader and helping to groom our young receiving corps."

Rison, a five-time Pro Bowl player, played for seven NFL teams and won a Super Bowl with Green Bay in 1997. He has 743 catches and 84 career touchdowns in an NFL career that began with Indianapolis in 1989. He finished with the Oakland Raiders four years ago, helping them reach the AFC championship game.

He was suspended for four games in 2001 for a repeat violation of the league's substance abuse policy and has been out of football since.

join