It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Bonds says '06 up to family, contract

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
PITTSBURGH -- Barry Bonds plans to map out his baseball future this winter, and the San Francisco slugger said Tuesday he still wants to finish his career with the Giants.

The 40-year-old Bonds entered Tuesday night's game in Pittsburgh with 687 home runs, third on the career list behind Babe Ruth (714) and Hank Aaron (755). Bonds said his plans will depend on his family and the Giants.

"I've got to talk to my family. It just depends on my family," Bonds said. "Probably that's a good chance [I'll play through 2006]. But this offseason is when I'm really going to sit down and figure out what is best. This winter is going to determine a lot of what I'm going to do in the future."

Bonds wouldn't say what other factors he will weigh in making future plans. It is believed he wants the Giants to guarantee his contract for the 2006 season, worth $18 million. It can be voided by the team if he has fewer than 400 plate appearances next season.

"I know that 2005 I will play. I can't tell you anything further than that," he said. "I don't have a contract for 2006. I have an option. I only go based on what I have, and what I have is 2005. I don't have 2006."

Bonds, who was drafted by the Pirates and broke into the majors with them in 1986, signed with San Francisco as a free agent in December 1992. He made it clear he prefers to finish his career with the Giants. His late father, Bobby, and godfather, Willie Mays, also starred for San Francisco.

Asked if he'd come back to Pittsburgh if the Pirates wanted to retire his number, Bonds said, "I'm going to retire in whatever uniform I end up in. That's where I'm going to retire, where I end up at. Hopefully, it's San Francisco, big time, because that's my history. That's my father, my godfather, every friend in the world I grew up with is there.

"There's no place like San Francisco for me right now. I don't know if there ever will be. But I can't assume they're going to do what they're going to do. I just hope they do, but you can't assume or think that's going to happen."

Bonds became the seventh player in major league history to reach base 5,000 times Tuesday night when he walked in the first inning, his 156th walk this season.

new topics

join