It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Federer beats Roddick to run winning streak to 23

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
TORONTO (AP) - Roger Federer won his third straight title Sunday, beating Andy Roddick 7-5, 6-3 in the final of the $2.5 million Tennis Masters Canada.

The top-ranked Federer, who won his eighth event of the year, extended his winning streak to 23 matches and raised his career record against the No. 2-ranked Roddick to 7-1.

"Andy, I'm sorry you didn't win another final," said Federer. "But in the future I'm sure we'll play many, many more great matches and you'll get your fair share of them."

Roddick defeated Federer in the semifinals of this event last year and went on to win the tournament. Since then, Roddick is 0-3 against Federer, including a four-set loss in the Wimbledon final.

"I'd like to congratulate Roger," Roddick said. "You're certainly becoming very annoying."

Federer was the more solid of the two before a sun-drenched sellout crowd of 12,000 spectators at Rexall Centre. Roddick often went to the net, attempting to dictate the match, but was often thwarted by solid returns or passing shots.

"I thought I played the big points pretty well," Roddick said. "He just made great shots."

Federer's 23-match win streak is the longest on the men's tour since Pete Sampras won 24 straight five years ago.

The match marked the first time the top seeds in this event met in the final since 1995, Andre Agassi defeated Sampras.

Roddick was trying to become the first champion to successfully defend the title since Agassi accomplished the feat in 1994-'95.

Federer got a break in the 12th game and took the first set. After gaining the advantage with a stellar backhand that handcuffed Roddick at the net, Federer captured the win when Roddick's forehand went long. Roddick then hurled his racket into the nearby photographer's pit in frustration.

It marked just the second time in the tournament Roddick was broken.

The two remained on serve in the second, but Roddick required medical attention on his lower back after Federer went ahead 2-1. The help seemed to work as Roddick held serve and tied the set 2-all.

But Federer took control of the match with a crucial service break to go ahead 5-3. After falling behind 40-0, Roddick saved two of the break points, but had a shot sail wide to give Federer the victory.

From there, Federer served out the match.

Ben

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Roddick cant find a way to beat federer right now.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
The top-ranked Federer, who won his eighth event of the year, extended his winning streak to 23 matches and raised his career record against the No. 2-ranked Roddick to 7-1.

Yeah, so far he's got Roddick's number. But as he says, they will meet many more times.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Roddick seems to be owned by Federer...

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I'm not the biggest tennis fan but...

didn't Sampras pretty much own Agassi?

TRD

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cannon
Roddick seems to be owned by Federer...