It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: Olympians Iverson, Lebron Punished

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Allen Iverson, LeBron James and Amare Stoudemire of the U.S. Olympic team were suspended from Saturday's exhibition game against Puerto Rico for missing a team meeting.

The suspensions left the U.S. team with only nine players. One of them, center Emeka Okafor, was hobbled all week with an injured ankle.

Iverson and James were both listed as guards, which left the Americans with only two more listed guards, Stephon Marbury and Dwyane Wade.

Head coach Larry Brown made the decision on the suspensions, adding another interesting twist to his relationship with Iverson. Iverson played for Brown for six seasons in Philadelphia. Brown left after the 2003 season, in large part because the two never fully got along. Earlier this week, both men said they had patched up their once-fractured relationship.

The three suspended players watched the game from the end of the bench. The exhibition game closed out a week of training for the team, which heads to Europe to continue preparations for the Olympics.

When the suspensions were announced over the public-address system to the sellout crowd in Jacksonville, the fans booed, and Brown shot a nasty look over to the press table, clearly upset the suspensions were announced to the fans.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
One would think that after the embarassment of the team from last year there would be more of a commitment from some of these players...sadly, guess not.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Hopefully they stay home for the Olympics. Then Canada will have a shot at the gold.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cannon
One would think that after the embarassment of the team from last year there would be more of a commitment from some of these players...sadly, guess not.

I totally agree, I hope these guys are taking this seriously. If not, they could be in for a rude awakening. I think they definitely have the talent to win gold but if they are on vacation over there then they can forget it. They are representing their country and they should act like it. They better leave their egos back home.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I have faith that Brown will pull it all together in time.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
I have faith that Brown will pull it all together in time.

Me to, I have alot of respect for Larry Brown. I dont know how he put up with Iverson so long but I think he was very influential in keeping him on the somewhat straight and narrow, Brown is a great teacher. I definitely think we have the right guy coaching this team over there, especially with so many of them being so young.

top topics

join