It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Beuerlein retires from NFL as a Panther

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Charlotte, NC (AP) - Steve Beuerlein signed with the Carolina Panthers on Wednesday and then immediately announced his retirement. Beuerlein, who holds all of Carolina's career passing records, spent 17 years in the NFL, including five with the Panthers.

"We are very proud and happy that Steve is retiring as a Carolina Panther," said team president Mark Richardson. "He always represented the team in the best fashion possible on the field and in the community."

The 39-year-old Beuerlein played with Carolina from 1996 through 2000 and passed for a club-record 12,690 yards and 86 touchdowns. He had his best year in 1999 when he was named to the NFC Pro Bowl team after throwing for 4,436 yards and 36 touchdowns.

"The fans were always wonderful to me and my family when I played here," said Beuerlein. "The most memorable moments of my playing career came as a Panther, and I have such a great respect for the organization and the Richardson family that it is appropriate that I retire as a Panther."

Beuerlein spent the last three years with the Denver Broncos where he appeared in 12 games. In three campaigns in the Mile High City, Beuerlein threw for 1,314 yards with eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

For his career, which also included stints with the Los Angeles Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals and Jacksonville Jaguars, Beuerlein threw for 24,046 yards with 147 touchdowns and 112 interceptions.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
A true journeyman retires. he probably could've had a hall of fame career, if he would've been able to stay with one team.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I think Buerlein was a pretty decent quarterback over the years. Actually I think he was one of the better back-ups to play the position. I know he started a few years in Carolina and a few games other places but the majority of his career he was a back-up and alwys seemed to perform well when coming into a game cold off the bench. I know he backed up Aikman and Elway for a few years.

join