It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: CYCLING: Police probe Armstrong 'threat'

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
ROME - An Italian cyclist who says he was "threatened" by six-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong during the race was questioned by police about the episode, which might be linked to a feud between the riders.

Filippo Simeoni was questioned Tuesday in Rome about the July 23 stage, during which he was chased down by Armstrong, a move apparently related to a dispute about Simeoni's testimony about drug use in cycling, Col. Stefano Ortolani of the paramilitary Carabiniere NAS anti-doping squad said Wednesday.

Last Friday, when Simeoni moved ahead to try for victory on a stage that would not have impacted the overall standings, Armstrong chased him down and herded him back to the main pack.

The sports daily Gazzetta dello Sport quoted Simeoni after he left police questioning as saying "He prevented me from continuing the breakaway and afterward he threatened me."

Armstrong's agent, Bill Stapleton, had no comment Wednesday, a spokeswoman said.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
any reality to this accusation? Isn't this the stage that Lance said he was trying for his teammate to win? If so, does that make this accusation illegitimate?

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I saw an interview a few weeks back and Lance is very angry with all of the accusations flying around about him and supposedly this guy was one of the vocal ones. I think maybe Lance was just making a statement, but only they know what was said. It seems out of character for Lance, but things do happen in the heat of competition.

Maybe he threatened to beat him in the race.

new topics

join