It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TRACK AND FIELD: Isinbayeva vaults to record

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
BIRMINGHAM, England (AP) - Yelena Isinbayeva reclaimed the pole vault world record Sunday at the Norwich Union International meet, and world champion Kim Collins led from start to finish in the 100 meters.

Russia's Isinbayeva cleared 16 feet, 1/2-inch, breaking the previous mark of 16 feet, set by Svetlana Feofanova on July 4 at Iraklion, Greece. Feofanova had bettered Isinbayeva's record of 15-11..3/4' set June 27 in England.

"It's crazy, it's amazing, it's fantastic," a giggling Isinbayeva said. "England is a lucky country for me."

Feofanova, Isinbayeva and Stacy Dragila have taken turns breaking the standards in the women's pole vault the last couple of years and the trio will vie for gold at the Athens Olympics next month. Isinbayeva set the new mark in cool, breezy conditions at the outdoor Alexander Stadium. She won a $50,000 bonus.

"At the beginning it was difficult, it was cold and the wind was blowing the pole away," she said. "I don't know how I managed to keep my concentration."

Collins won the 100 in 10.10 seconds. After congratulating his fellow racers, the St. Kitts and Nevis runner walked the length of the stadium waving to fans and signing autographs.

"It was an important race to win mainly because everyone wants to win their pre-Olympic competitions and lay down a marker," Collins said. "I have restricted my racing this year because I want to come fresh and ready when it really counts. I have been training hard and I really expected to win. I anticipated a fast time, but right now the time does not really matter."

Britain's Mark Lewis-Francis was second with 10.27, followed by Americans John Capel in 10.28 and Leonard Scott in 10.30.

World champion Allen Johnson won the 110 hurdles in 13.25.

"I thought that was far faster than the clock said," he said.

In other events, Jamaica's Michael Blackwood won the 400 in 46.08, followed by Britain's Timothy Benjamin in 46.34, and American Derrick Brew in 46.35.

"I came out here to try and get my race together for the Summer Olympics, and with the weather conditions like this I am happy I came away with the win," Blackwood said.

American-born Malachi Davis, who made Britain's Olympic team after less than a month with British citizenship, finished sixth with 46.84.

Also, Asafa Powell won the 200, Dwight Phillips won the long jump, Aleen Bailey won the women's 100 in a personal-best 11.04, Erin Gilreath won the women's hammer throw, Allison Beckford won the women's 400, and Kelly Holmes won the women's 800.

join